MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team played their way back to even in the second half at the University of Mount Olive on Friday night, sending the contest to overtime. However, Ni'Ya Styles was too much for the Tornado, scoring the game-winning bucket with two seconds remaining as the Tornado comeback fell shot, 89-87.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 89, King 87 (F/OT)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 5-8, 2-4 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 5-8, 3-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive got off to a hot start, gaining separation with a 6-0 to take a 10-4 lead and force a King timeout.
- The Trojans later scored six straight points, extending their lead to 19-9 before Kristen Cupples drilled a triple.
- Trailing 21-9 at the start of the second quarter, the Tornado began to work their way back.
- Ali Golden started the quarter with a three-point basket, trying to spark the Tornado offense.
- After a Trojan bucket, Arnelle Collins started a 9-0 run with a pair of layups. Megan Addison connected from long range and Amy Van Deventer pulled King within 25-21 with a layup.
- However, Mount Olive answered with 11 straight points before knocked down a trifecta, cutting the King deficit to 36-24 at halftime.
- The Tornado played solid in each the third and fourth quarters, outscoring Mount Olive 25-19 in each stanza.
- Jada Owens capped a 12-4 run for the Tornado with a jump shot that cut the King deficit to 51-49 late in the third quarter.
- However, the Trojans scored the final four points of the stanza to take a 55-49 lead going to the final quarter.
- King continued the pressure early in the fourth quarter, scoring 12 of the first 16 points. Cupples evened the score at 59 with a triple and Collins gave King their first lead at 61-59 with a layup.
- The teams traded the lead before Mount Olive had the upper hand down the stretch.
- The Trojans held a four point lead with 38 seconds remaining before Collins made a layup, pulling King within two.
- King dug in defensively and got a turnover and a chance to tie the contest. Che' Davis was fouled on a layup attempt, sending her to the free throw line with 11 seconds remaining.
- Davis made both free throws, and Kori West came up with a block on the defensive end, sending the game to overtime.
- Van Deventer scored the first bucket of the extra session, but Mount Olive answered with a triple.
- Mount Olive then held the upper hand throughout overtime, and led by three when Cupples connected from long range with 19 seconds remaining to even the score at 87.
- However, the Trojans came down and Styles made a jump shot from the left block with two seconds remaining, giving Mount Olive the win.
- Golden led four scorers in double figures with 17 points to go along with three assists.
- Collins added 14 points and three assists while Cupples added 12 points and three assists.
- West chipped in with 12 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Styles led Mount Olive with a career-high 40 points, including eight three-point baskets.
- Felecity Havens followed with 19 points and eight rebounds while Jada Bacchus added 17 points and six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This marks the first time the Tornado have played an overtime game since December 12, 2015 when King fell to Lincoln Memorial University at home.
- King stays on the road to face Barton College. Tipoff from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.