BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team took on Erskine College Saturday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup. Some big performances for the Tornado propelled them to a 73-50 victory over the Flying Fleet.
FINAL SCORE: King 73, Erskine 50
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-9, 4-5 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 4-10, 3-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to a quick start in this one. They started the game on a 10-2 run that was capped off by a Kristen Cupples three point basket.
- The Tornado proceeded to go on a 9-0 run midway through the first quarter that was finished off by a Taylor Freeman three point field goal.
- The first quarter was dominated by King as they took a 27-14 lead at the end of one. The Tornado shot 52.9 percent from the field and 40 percent from long range during the quarter.
- During the second quarter, the Tornado used an 8-2 run to increase their lead to 19 points. Che' Davis drilled a three point basket during the run while Freeman capped off the run with a layup.
- At the end of the first half, King led Erskine 40-25 despite cooling off from the field and shooting only 27.8 percent from the field.
- The Tornado extended their lead to 20 points after Ali Golden made a basket and the foul shot after being fouled while shooting.
- By the end of the quarter, King built up a 62-35 after shooting 66.7 percent from the field.
- The fourth quarter started with Cupples nailing back-to-back-to-back three point field goals and extending King's lead to 33 points.
- The Tornado never looked back and finished off the Flying Fleet 73-50.
- Cupples poured in 20 points and five rebounds for King.
- Kori West posted a double-double for the second straight game as she recorded 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- Davis chipped in 15 points and eight rebounds for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Megan Davis led the way offensively for the Flying Fleet as she put up 13 points and four rebounds.
- Christian Brown chipped in 12 points and 8 rebounds while Alexis Scott recorded nine points and six rebounds for Erskine.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples posted her second 20 point effort of the season for the Tornado.
- West records her second straight double-double and is averaging 19 points and 14.5 rebounds over her last two games.
- King hosts Emmanuel College in a Conference Carolinas matchup Wednesday night at 5:30 pm.
- Erskine travels to Lees-McRae College Monday afternoon.