DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team shot well from three-point range in a Conference Carolinas win at Erskine College. The Tornado knocked down 12 triples, six from Kristen Cupples to defeat the Flying Fleet 76-52.
FINAL SCORE: King 76, Erskine 52
LOCATION: Belk Arena; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 9-9, 6-5 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 4-13, 3-8, Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams got off to a slow start in the first quarter, but the three gave the Tornado the lead after the opening stanza.
- Che' Davis knocked down a pair of triples in the quarter, one to even the score at six and another that put King ahead 11-10 going into the second quarter.
- The shots continued to fall from behind the arc for the Tornado in the second quarter as Ali Golden gave King a 16-12 lead with a triple.
- Cupples heated up down the stretch, knocking down three triples in the final five minutes of the half. She broke an 18-18 tie with her second triple of the game and followed with another.
- Erskine came back and got within 27-26 before Cupples struck again from long range and Golden gave King a 32-26 lead at the break.
- Davis wasted no time opening the third quarter with a triple, igniting the Tornado offense.
- The Tornado went on a 9-0 run, capped by a Kori West layup giving King a 52-34 lead.
- However, the Flying Fleet scored five of the final seven points of the quarter, but King lead 54-39 going to the fourth quarter.
- Taylor Freeman stretched the Tornado lead to 60-39 when she drilled a triple early in the fourth quarter.
- Erskine tried to comeback, cutting their deficit to 67-52, but the Tornado closed the contest on a 7-0 run to take the game 76-52.
- West led the Tornado with 22 points and 15 rebounds for the double-double. West also handed out four assists.
- Cupples followed with 21 points, going 6-for-0 from three-point range and 7-for-11 from the floor. She added six rebounds.
- Golden and Davis rounded out four Tornado scorers in double figures with 11 points apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Christian Brown led the Flying Fleet with 15 points off the bench.
- Megan Davis followed with 13 points and Alexis Scott grabbed 13 rebounds and added eight points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West matched a career-high with 22 points. The double-double was her fifth of the season and third in the last four games.
- Cupples came within one of her career-high with 21 points.
- Arnelle Collins grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds and handed out a career-best five assists. She last had five assists in a game on January 13, 2015 against Erskine.
- King returns home to face Barton College on at 5:30 p.m. on Friday night.
- Erskine hosts Belmont Abbey College on Friday night.