BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball hosted Emmanuel College in their final regular season home game of the year Wednesday night. The Tornado held off a late push by the Lions to take a 72-59 victory and clinch the four seed for the conference tournament next week.
FINAL SCORE: King 72, Emmanuel 59
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-12, 11-8 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 15-10, 10-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado fell behind early and found themselves trailing until a Taylor Freeman layup gave King their first lead of the game with 3:52 remaining in the first quarter.
- Freeman's bucket sparked an 8-3 run made by the Tornado to close out the quarter. An Arielle Holloway jumper capped off the run for King.
- In the quarter, Ali Golden racked up six points while Freeman posted five points to give the Tornado a solid lead.
- King came out firing in the second quarter as they used a 9-0 run to start the period and found themselves leading 25-13 with 7:14 remaining in the half.
- The Tornado then used an 11-3 run to finish out the quarter and take a 40-23 at the half. The run was capped off with an Amy Van Deventer bucket with 40 seconds remaining. Van Deventer posted six points and four rebounds in the quarter to give the Tornado a boost off of the bench.
- The second half opened with an Arnelle Collins three point basket to extend the King lead to 20 points.
- However, the Lions cut the Tornado lead to 10 points with three minutes remaining in the quarter. Freeman responded for King with a jumper from long distance to extend the Tornado lead to 51-38.
- The basket by Freeman sparked a 9-3 run that the Tornado made to end the third quarter. A Van Deventer layup capped off the run for King.
- Freeman and Collins each posted five points in the quarter while Van Deventer chipped in two points and six rebounds.
- A Kori West basket opened up the fourth quarter for King and gave them a 59-41 lead.
- However, the Tornado went cold and Emmanuel warmed up as the Lions went on a 12-0 run to bring the contest to 59-53 with four minutes remaining.
- West stopped the Emmanuel run by dumping in a layup to extend the Tornado lead to 61-53 with 2:45 remaining in the contest.
- Late free throws by Golden, Kristen Cupples, and Che' Davis sealed the deal for the Tornado and gave them a 72-59 victory over the visitors.
- Golden led the way for the Tornado offense with 18 points, four rebounds, and three assists.
- Freeman dumped in 14 points and recorded four rebounds for the Tornado.
- Davis posted a double-double for King with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- The Lions put four players in double digits tonight, but was led by Taylor Delasbour who talied 14 points.
- Lochlain Corliss recorded 11 points and eight rebounds for Emmanuel.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the win tonight, the Tornado clinch the four seed in the Conference Carolinas conference tournament and a home game next Monday night against the University of Mount Olive.
- King had three players with at least 10 rebounds tonight. This is the second time this season that the Tornado have accomplished this mark. The last time was the opening game of the season on October 10, 2017 against Mars Hill University.
- Davis posted her second double-double of the season tonight with a 10 point, 10 rebound effort.
- King top-three scorers on the night (Golden, Freeman, and Davis) were all freshman. The Tornado have not had three freshman be their top three scorers in any game this season.
- King travels to Lees-McRae College Friday, February 23 for their regular season finale at 5:30 pm.
- Emmanuel hosts Erskine College February 23.