BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team hosted the University of Mount Olive Monday night in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas postseason tournament. A close game throughout, the Tornado used a huge night from Kori West and a late surge to take down the Trojans 85-75 and advance to the Conference Carolinas semifinals.
FINAL SCORE: King 85, Mount Olive 75
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-12; Mount Olive 12-17
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado took an early lead in the first quarter following a West layup that gave King a 6-2 lead three minutes into the quarter.
- Another West layup with 4:59 remaining in the quarter broke a 9-9 tie to give King a two point lead.
- Mount Olive went on a 7-2 run toward the end of the first quarter to take a 16-13 lead over King. However, Kristen Cupples drilled a three point basket to tie the contest up 16-16.
- A Mount Olive jumper with four seconds remaining in the first quarter gave the Trojans a 20-18 lead over the Tornado after quarter number one. West posted eight points and five rebounds in the quarter.
- King started off the second quarter with a 7-0 run to take a 25-20 lead over the Trojans. The run was capped off with a Taylor Freeman bucket.
- The quarter was fast paced and up-tempo as both teams were getting up and down the floor. Neither team gained over a five point lead throughout the quarter. At the half, King and Mount Olive were tied 36-36.
- Freeman led the Tornado in the second quarter with seven points, while Ali Golden chipped in five second quarter points.
- The Tornado opened the second half with a 9-2 run to take a 45-36 lead with 5:43 remaining in the third quarter. Arnelle Collins capped off the run with a two-point bucket.
- Despite King's nine point lead, the Trojans fought back and tied the game 53-53 with 2:24 left in the third.
- The Tornado used a 6-0 run to finish out the third quarter and take a 59-54 lead heading into the game's final quarter. West posted nine points and ten rebounds in the third quarter alone.
- In the fourth quarter, King busted out a game-changing 10-0 run to take a 74-59 lead over Mount Olive. West capped off the run with another layup inside the paint.
- After taking a double-digit lead, the Tornado never looked back as their lead during the rest of the game was never cut to single digits. King finished off the game by making free throws down the stretch and closing out the Trojans to take the contest 85-75.
- West led the Tornado with a monster double-double of 27 points and 27 rebounds.
- Golden recorded 19 points and five assists for King.
- Collins and Cupples each chipped in 11 points and combined for four three point baskets.
FOR THE FOES
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with an impressive 31 points and 11 rebounds while shooting 12-24 from the field.
- Tommarah Harris added 18 points including four three point baskets for Mount Olive.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado advance to the semifinals of the Conference Carolinas postseason tournament with the win over Mount Olive tonight. King will travel to host Barton College where they will face North Greenville University Thursday night.
- West's 27 rebounds is believed to be the most rebounds in a single women's basketball game in program history given the available records.
- West's 27 points and 27 rebound double-double is her second 20-20 game of the season. The last coming against Barton College on January 26.
- King travels to Barton College Thursday night for their Conference Carolinas semifinals matchup against North Greenville University. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.