BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team opened their home schedule in style on Thursday night against regional rival UVa-Wise. The Tornado held a slim lead at halftime but used a big second half to defeat the Cavaliers 78-62.
FINAL SCORE: King 78, UVa-Wise 62
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-1; UVa-Wise 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King scored the first six points of the contest, capped by a layup from Arielle Holloway.
- The Cavaliers followed with back-to-back triples and a layup to take an 8-6 lead midway through the opening stanza.
- The Tornado later went on a 7-2 spurt, regaining a 15-10 advantage. Kori West capped the 5-0 run that closed the spurt with a layup.
- However, UVa-Wise came back and closed the quarter on an 8-3 run, evening the score at 18 following the first quarter.
- The second quarter started with a pair of runs, first with UVa-Wise taking a 22-18 lead before King answered with seven straight.
- The score was later even at 28-28 before Holloway made a pair of free throws with five seconds remaining to give King a 30-28 lead at halftime.
- King pulled away in the third quarter, outscoring the Cavaliers 22-16.
- West ignited a 7-1 King spurt with a layup before Ali Golden drilled a triple.
- Holloway made it a 40-31 King advantage with a layup to cap the run.
- Madison Davis extended the Tornado advantage to 46-35 with an old-fashioned three-point play.
- The Cavaliers closed the quarter with a pair of free throws, cutting their deficit to 52-44.
- Every time the Cavaliers tried to get a run going, the Tornado had an answer in the final period.
- UVa-Wise cut their deficit to six with three minutes remaining, but Trinity Lee responded with a layup and Golden following with a layup.
- Lee put the game out of reach with a three-point basket as King went on to take the contest 78-62.
INSIDE THE BOX
- West led the Tornado with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Lee followed with a season-high 15 points and added five rebounds and four assists.
- Golden also reached double figures with 13 points and dished out six assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Cynita Webb led UVa-Wise with 16 points and eight rebounds.
- Hannah Oliver followed with 14 points.
- King travels to take on Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday. Tipoff from Harrogate, Tenn., is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise hosts Urbana University on Saturday afternoon.