Mount Olive, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team fell behind 11 early in the game but fought back to eventually take a lead of their own in the third quarter. The Trojans were able to recapture the lead and momentum in the fourth quarter and eventually took the match 69-67.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 69, King 67
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-3, Conference Carolinas 0-1; Mount Olive 4-2, Conference Carolinas 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams went back and forth to begin the first quarter but King took the early lead 10-9 capped off by a Kori West layup.
- After another exchange of baskets to have the game knotted at 15 the Trojans went on an 11-0 run to take the lead 26-15.
- The Tornado were able to stop the bleeding coming by the way off a Trinity Lee layup but still trailed after the first quarter 28-17.
- Lee started a huge run for the Tornado to get back in the game with a three-point shot at the start of the second half.
- King went on a 13-2 run of their own to tie the game 32-32 capped by a West block and a Lee fast-break layup on the other end.
- Mount Olive was able to get the last shot before the half and take the lead going into halftime 34-33.
- Lee again came out strong for the Tornado in the third quarter by draining a three-point basket to give King the early third quarter lead 36-34.
- After another Lee layup, Kristen Cupples added a three to the mix to give King their largest lead of the game 41-34.
- The Trojans then went on a 10-2 run of their own to take the lead back again 43-45.
- After an exchange of baskets, Lee drained another three at the end of the third quarter to give King a 2-point lead going into the final quarter of the game 54-53.
- There were five lead exchanges in the fourth quarter with the Trojans' Jada Bacchus making a layup to give Mount Olive the early fourth quarter lead 55-54.
- Ali Golden pulled King right back into the lead by netting a three-point basket to give King a two-point lead 57-55.
- Both teams would exchange baskets with Mount Olive pushing ahead by two with 11 seconds left in the game.
- Cupples tried to shoot a deep three-point shot to give King the lead but was unable to connect and the Trojans took the contest 69-67.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led King with a career-high 20 points, going 7-for-14 from the field.
- Cupples added 17 points and 4 assists.
- West poured in 13 points and 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Felecity Havens scores 35 points, shooting 14-25 from the field.
- Makayla Nichols added on with 13 points, going 5-for-9 from the field.
- King travels to Erskine Saturday, December 8th, tip-off scheduled for 2:00 pm.
- Mount Olive travels to Coker December 4th.