DUE WEST, S.C. – The way the contest started, it appeared the King University women's basketball team would cruise to a victory after scoring the first 17 points at Erskine College on Saturday. However, the Flying Fleet came back, but the Tornado persevered behind a double-double from Kori West to take the contest 69-63.
FINAL SCORE: King 69, Erskine 63
LOCATION: Belk Arena; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-3, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 2-7, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ali Golden, Madison Davis, and Kristen Cupples started the scoring for the Tornado, each drilling triples to give King a 9-0 lead.
- West later capped the 17-0 spurt that started the contest with a layup four minutes in.
- Following a pair of Erskine free throws, King scored 10 straight points, started by another Cupples three-point basket.
- West then gave King a 27-2 advantage with a pair of free throws with 3:30 remaining in the first stanza.
- Erskine scored three points at the free throw line before their first field goal came with 2:42 remaining when Megan Davis made a triple.
- The Flying Fleet closed the quarter on an 18-0 run, cutting their deficit to 27-20 going into the second period.
- Erskine stayed hot to start the second period, using an 11-3 run to gain a 31-30 advantage following a Chyenne Matson three-point basket with three minutes remaining until halftime.
- Rylee Fritz ended a nearly seven-minute drought for the Tornado with a jump shot, vaulting the Tornado back into the lead.
- West stretched the King lead to four before a Flying Fleet triple made the halftime score 35-34 in favor of the Tornado.
- The teams went back-and-forth in the early going, but Trinity Lee started an 11-0 King run with a pair of free throws.
- Fritz capped the spurt with a layup, giving King a 49-36 lead midway through the third period.
- A pair of Golden free throws gave the Tornado a 53-45 advantage going to the final period.
- West stretched the King advantage back to 60-50 with a layup midway through the fourth period.
- However, the Flying Fleet didn't give up, scoring 12 of the next 15 points to cut their deficit to 65-62 with 33 seconds remaining.
- West made a pair of free throws down the stretch and Davis gave King the 69-63 win with a layup in the waning seconds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West led the Tornado with 22 points and 15 rebounds.
- Cupples and Lee both chipped in with 11 points.
- Cupples added six rebounds and six assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Davis led the Flying Fleet with 23 points.
- Myranda Parham followed with 13 and Matson chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for West marks her third straight and fourth of the season.
- King returns to the Student Center Complex on Wednesday as they host 20th-ranked Carson-Newman University at 6:30 p.m.
- Erskine travels to Charleston Southern University on Tuesday.