WISE, Va. – The King University women's basketball team closed 2018 with a come-from-behind victory at UVa-Wise on Saturday night. The Tornado trailed early in the second half, but closed with a strong end to the third quarter and fourth quarter to take the contest 62-54.
FINAL SCORE: King 62, UVa-Wise 54
LOCATION: Prior Center; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 5-5; UVa-Wise 5-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kori West started the contest with back-to-back buckets and Trinity Lee gave King an 8-3 lead with a layup three minutes in.
- The Tornado later scored six straight points, capped by a West layup that gave King a 16-9 lead.
- However, the Cavaliers scored the final four points of the quarter, cutting their deficit to 16-13 going into the second stanza.
- The King lead grew to 21-13 following a Ryleigh Fritz trifecta early in the second quarter.
- However, UVa-Wise went on a 12-0 run where they held King without a point for more than four minutes.
- That run gave the Cavaliers a 25-21 lead before Ali Golden ended the drought to get King back on the board.
- Golden later scored the final basket of the half in the final minute, cutting the Tornado deficit to 30-29 at the break.
- The Cavaliers extended their lead to 35-29 in the opening minute of the third quarter, but King answered with four straight points from West.
- West made it six straight points, pulling the Tornado even with UVa-Wise four minutes into the quarter.
- King scored seven straight points, started by a Lee triple and capped by an Arielle Holloway offense rebound and put back.
- The Cavaliers scored the final basket of the quarter, but King led 44-43 going to the fourth quarter.
- The lead changed hands four times and there were two ties in the first four minutes of the final stanza.
- Golden gave King a 52-51 lead with a fastbreak layup midway through the period.
- Golden later scored four straight points, giving King a 58-54 lead with one minute remaining.
- King then iced the 62-54 victory at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West led King with 23 points and 13 rebounds.
- Golden followed with 17 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Lee chipped in with nine points while Madison Davis snared eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Ada Stanley and Janice Ladson paced the Cavaliers with 12 points each.
- Cynita Webb chipped in with 10 points and nine rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for West was her seventh of the season.
- Golden matched a season-high with 17 points.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on January 2 at Limestone College. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- UVa-Wise travels to Lincoln Memorial University on January 7.