GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team used a balanced scoring attack on Wednesday night as they took down Conference Carolinas perennial power Limestone College. The Tornado posted five scores in double figures as they took the contest 75-63.
FINAL SCORE: King 75, Limestone 63
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 6-5, 2-2 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 7-6, 4-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a hot start behind Madison Davis who knocked down a pair of triples and a free throw that gave King an 11-4 lead.
- Davis' second trifecta started a 12-0 run that gave the Tornado a 19-4 lead late in the opening period.
- Trinity Lee picked up the scoring down the stretch, drilling back-to-back triples to end the spurt.
- She added another three-point basket that beat the buzzer to give King a 22-7 lead after 10 minutes.
- Lee scored 11 points in the period, going 4-for-4 from the floor.
- Limestone cut into the King lead early in the second period, but the Tornado answered with eight straight points.
- Kori West started the spurt with a layup before Davis gave King their largest lead of the half a 32-13 with a jump shot.
- Kristen Cupples beat the halftime buzzer with a layup, giving the Tornado a 34-15 lead at the break.
- The Saints cut into their deficit in the third quarter, using a 7-2 run to pull within 10 of the Tornado.
- Limestone cut their deficit to eight at 42-34 with four minutes remaining in the third period, but King answered.
- The Tornado responded with five straight points, extending their lead to 47-34.
- Limestone scored the final five points the period, cutting the King lead to 49-41 going to the final period.
- Cupples opened the fourth quarter on fire, drilling a pair of three-point baskets to give King a 55-43 lead.
- Ryleigh Fritz then stretched the Tornado advantage to 60-45 with a triple two minutes into the quarter.
- Cupples added another triple before Lee made a layup that pushed the Tornado advantage to 67-49.
- The Saints tried to make one last run, but the Tornado iced the 75-63 victory at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led five Tornado scorers in double figures with 18 points.
- Cupples followed with 17 points, eight rebounds and three assists.
- Ali Golden added 12 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
- Davis accounted for 13 points and eight rebounds.
- West chipped in with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- King shot 45.2 percent from the floor and 42.9 percent from long land, their second best outputs this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Schekinah Bimpa led Limestone with 15 points and nine rebounds.
- Taylour Hunter added 12 points.
- Alexis Armstrong chipped in with 11 points and six rebounds.
- The Tornado defense held Limestone to a 15.8 three-point field goal percentage and 35.2 field goal percentage.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double marks West's eighth of the season.
- King posts five scorers in double figures since their last win at Limestone on March 3, 2017 in the conference championship game.
- King returns home to take on Converse College on Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Limestone travels to Emmanuel College on Saturday.