BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team returned to take on Conference Carolinas foe Converse College. The first three quarters were tight, but the Tornado broke a tie game open in the fourth quarter to take the contest 73-57.
FINAL SCORE: King 73, Converse 57
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-5, 3-2 Conference Carolinas; Converse 5-6, 1-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King held a 6-4 lead in the early going behind triples from Kristen Cupples and Arielle Holloway, but the Valkyries answered.
- Converse scored eight straight points to take a 12-6 lead before Trinity Lee got King back on the board with a layup.
- Cupples gave King a short-lived lead with a triple before Converse answered with a triple with 11 seconds left to take a 17-15 lead into the second period.
- Madison Davis capped a 5-0 run that vaulted the Tornado to a 26-22 lead midway through the second period.
- However, Converse later went on an 11-1 run to take a 38-30 lead.
- Taylor Freeman hit a pair of free throws, cutting the Tornado deficit to 38-32 at halftime.
- It didn't take King long for King to even the score in the third quarter as Cupples and Ali Golden drilled back-to-back three-point baskets.
- Che' Davis later closed a 6-0 Tornado run with a layup, giving King a 46-43 lead midway through the stanza.
- Madison Davis gave King the lead in the final minute, but Converse came back with a layup that beat the buzzer, sending the game to the fourth quarter even at 48.
- King scored the first 12 points of the final period as Cupples started the onslaught with a triple. Holloway gave King a 60-48 lead with a trifecta.
- That run turned out to be the difference as the Tornado extended their lead to as many as 18 before taking the contest 73-57.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples and Golden led the way on the offense end with season-highs of 18 points apiece.
- Golden handed out four assists and Cupples snared seven rebounds.
- Freeman added a season-high 16 points of 5-for-6 shooting from the floor.
FOR THE FOES
- Abigail Lewis led Converse with 12 points while Nigeria Davis followed with 10 points and six rebounds.
- Alexis McMillian grabbed 11 rebounds.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when they travel to Barton College. Tipoff from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Converse travels to the University of Mount Olive on Tuesday.