WILSON, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team traveled to Barton College and fell to the Bulldogs in a Conference Carolinas matchup on Tuesday night. The Tornado had no answer for Kianna Wynn as the Bulldogs took the contest 72-53.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 72, King 53
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-6, 3-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 12-3, 5-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity Lee gave King an early 5-2 lead when she drilled a three-point basket.
- However, the Bulldogs responded with an 11-0 run to open up a 13-5 advantage.
- Taylor Freeman scored the last basket of the quarter, cutting the King deficit to 17-11.
- Barton stretched their lead 10 before Lee knocked down another from long distance.
- Five straight points later gave Barton their largest lead of the half at 29-16.
- The Tornado cut two points off of their deficit, but still trailed 34-23 at the half.
- In the middle of the third quarter, King went on a 10-2 run, capped by a Kristen Cupples triple that pulled King within 46-41.
- However, the Bulldogs scored the final nine points of the quarter to hold a 55-41 advantage going to the final stanza.
- King tried to stay close with their three-point shooting as Lee started the final period with a trifecta.
- A pair of Ryleigh Fritz free throws pulled King within 57-46, but that was as close as the Tornado would get.
- Barton answered with 11 straight points to open up their largest lead of the game at 68-46.
- From there, the Bulldogs took cruised to the 72-53 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led King with 13 points.
- Cupples followed with 11 points and nine rebounds while Fritz chipped in with nine points.
FOR THE FOES
- Kianna Wynn led Barton with 35 points and 17 rebounds.
- Carmen Richardson and Summer Baer added nine points each.
- King returns home to take on the University of Mount Olive on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex. Earlier this year, King fell at Mount Olive 69-67.
- Barton travels to North Greenville University on Saturday.