BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team were back in action at home on Saturday as they took on the University of Mount Olive in a Conference Carolinas match up. Big games from Kristen Cupples and Trinity Lee helped push King passed Mount Olive 66-60.
FINAL SCORE: King 66, Mount Olive 60
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-6, 4-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 10-4, 6-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King held a 7-2 lead in the early going behind sharp shooting from Lee and Desiree Bates.
- The Trojans, however, were able to tie up the game at 11 going on an 8-4 run stopped by an Arielle Holloway three.
- Back to back triples from Cupples helped push the King lead to nine before the end of the first quarter and gave King the 20-11 lead.
- Mount Olive and King would exchange buckets in the second period with King coming out on top behind a Madison Davis jump shot that gave King the 32-19 advantage.
- Cupples would then give King their largest lead of the night before halftime making a three-point basket to give the Tornado a 39-23 lead.
- In the third period, the Trojans started to inch their way back into the game as Felicity Havens made back to back baskets to cut the King lead down to 9 at 41-32.
- King and Mount olive would exchange baskets and before the end of the third period Havens was able to make a jump shot and cut the Tornado lead down to 6 with the score being 45-39 going into the fourth period.
- Mount Olive scored the first points of the final period to cut the lead down to four but back to back jump shots from Davis and Lee were able to push the lead back up to eight at a score of 49-41.
- The Trojans and the Tornado would once again exchange baskets throughout the fourth quarter with King able to keep the Trojan attack at bay and take the game 66-60.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples scores 17 points and has five rebounds.
- Lee added 15 points and four assists on the night.
FOR THE FOES
- Havens scores 22 points.
- Jada Bacchus has a double-double scoring 15 points and racking up 13 rebounds
- King is in action again on Wednesday when they travel to Lees-McRae. Tipoff from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts Barton College.