BANNER ELK, N.C - The King University women's basketball team traveled to Lees-McRae on Wednesday and were in another tough fought game as they went into overtime for the second year in a year at Lees-McRae, but fell short 73-69.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 73, King 69
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 8-6, 4-3 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 7-9, 4-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kristen Cupples started off the game with a jump shot or the Tornado but the Bobcats answered quickly with a jump shot of their own.
- After a Lees-McRae three and a jump shot King would cut the Bobcat lead down to one with Lees-McRae holding the lead 7-6.
- Lees-McRae would then go on a 9-2 run before a Che' Davis bucket and the foul would stop the bleeding before the half with the Bobcats in control 18-13.
The Tornado would cut the Bobcat lead down to one with a free throw and three-point basket from Ryleigh Fritz 18-17.
- The Bobcats would answer with a three-point basket and a lay-up of their own to extend the lead back up to 23-17
- After an exchange of baskets, the Tornado would be able to get the final two points before the half coming in the way of free throws by Trinity Lee to cut the Lees-McRae lead down to 28-24.
- Back to back baskets from Madison Davis and Lee would knot the game up at 28 to start the third quarter.
- Kiki Samsel would give King their first lead since the beginning of the game 32-31 soon after.
- The Bobcats would then go on a 13-5 run to end the third quarter and give them a 45-37 lead going into the fourth quarter.
- Lees-McRae would reach their largest lead of the night after a 3-point jump shot from Markia Stacey 53-41.
- The Tornado would fight back slowly and take the lead with back to back baskets from Cupples and Ali Golden 62-59.
- Brea Forbes would hit a step-back three-point shot at the end of regulation to send the game into overtime.
- The Tornado and Bobcats would start the overtime period with an exchange of three-point shots to keep the game tied at 65.
- Lees-McRae would then go on 6-0 run and would take control of the lead for the rest of the game where they would take the victory, 73-67.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Bates scores 15 points and racks up seven rebounds.
- Davis racks up five points and eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Stacey has 18 points and six assists
- Forbes has 17 points and seven boards in the win.
- King returns to the court Saturday, January 19th, at Belmont Abbey College, start time scheduled for 5:30 pm.
- Lees-McRae travels to Mount-Olive.