BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing their second game in three days, the King University women's basketball team survived a tough shooting night to defeat Erskine College. The Tornado pulled away late to take the 61-53 Conference Carolinas victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 61, Erskine 53
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-7, 6-4 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 5-12, 2-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to a 7-0 following a Kiki Samsel jump shot midway through the stanza.
- The Tornado defense played strong early, holding Erskine without a point for nearly six minutes and without a field goal for nearly seven minutes to start the game.
- Madison Davis gave King a 14-9 lead in the final minute and the Tornado took a 14-10 lead into the second period.
- King stretched their lead back to seven points at 22-15 following a Kristin Cupples triple with three minutes remaining until halftime.
- Erskine then scored five straight points before Trinity Lee connected from long range with four seconds remaining that gave King a 25-20 lead at the half.
- The Flying Fleet opened the second half on an 8-2 run that vaulted them into a 28-27 lead midway through the third quarter.
- The Tornado deficit grew to four before Ryleigh Fritz and Lee connected and consecutive trifectas, putting King back ahead.
- The teams then traded baskets and King led 38-37 going to the final period.
- Five quick points from Ali Golden started the fourth quarter, stretching the King lead to 43-37.
- The contest remained close until five straight points from King gave the Tornado their largest lead of the game at 56-48 following a Che' Davis free throw with 1:44 remaining.
- King then closed out the 61-53 victory at the free throw line down the stretch.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Golden led King with 15 points while Lee followed with 12.
- Che' Davis added six points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- Madison Davis chipped in with seven points and six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Alexis Scott led Erskine with 20 points and 15 rebounds.
- Madison Whitt scored 13 points and Megan Davis chipped in with 10 points and four assists.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they travel to Emmanuel College. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga.
- Erskine travels to Southern Wesleyan University on Thursday.