FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's basketball team was in action on Saturday against Emmanuel College. King was able to go up as much as 12 points but was unable to close the door as Emmanuel took the contest 65-56.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 61, King 53
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 10-8, 6-5 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 13-5, 8-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel came out hitting on all cylinders starting off the game on a 12-2 run.
- Ryleigh Fritz would answer with a three-point basket and would spark a King run of their own.
- The Tornado would go on an 11-0 run capped off by Desiree Bates to end the first quarter and give them the lead 13-12.
- King stretched their lead to three 15-13, to start the second quarter coming off a Madison Davis jump shot.
- The Lions would cut the King lead down to one but the Tornado offense would catch fire again and go on a 10-0 run before Emmanuel stopped the bleeding with a pair of free-throws with King maintaining control 25-16.
- Emmanuel and King would exchange baskets to end the second quarter with the Tornado holding the lead 28-21.
- The Tornado would extend their lead back up to ten with a Kristen Cupples three-point shot to start the third quarter.
- The Lions would then go on a 10-0 run to tie the game up at 32 before a Makenzy Bennett layup gave King the lead again 34-32.
- The teams then traded baskets with Emmanuel taking the slight edge 41-36 going to the final period.
- Both teams would exchange baskets to begin the final period but it was a Kiki Samsel triple that got the Tornado within 1 at 43-42.
- A Davis layup would give the Tornado the lead once again before the Lions would regain momentum and the lead 10 seconds later 44-43.
- After three lead changes in the final period, Emmanuel was able to hold on to the lead for good and take the game 65-56.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Davis had six points and six rebounds.
- Cupples was the only Tornado in double figures with 12 points and also racked up five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Emmanuel had three players in double figures.
- Lochlain Corliss led the way with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- King is in action again on Thursday at home against North Greenville University tip-off starting at 5:30 pm.
- Emmanuel travels to Erskine College on Tuesday.