BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team was in action at home on Thursday as they hosted conference foe North Greenville University. The tornado jumped to a big lead early on in the game and were able to cruise to a 63-46 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 63, North Greenville 46
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-8, 7-5 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 4-17, 3-11 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kristen Cupples started the game off for the Tornado with a deep three-point basket which was quickly followed by an Ali Golden jump shot and-one to give King the early 6-4 lead.
- The Crusaders would answer with a two of their own and both teams would go back in fourth in the beginning half of the first period.
- King would go on a 10-2 run ended by an Arielle Holloway three-point shot to give King the 23-15 lead at the end of the first period.
- King would continue the hot shooting into the second period extending their lead all the way up to 18, 35-17
- North Greenville was able to add two free-throws right before the buzzer with King holding the lead at the half 35-19.
- The Crusaders would get first blood in the third period with Haylee Luttrell knocking down back to back threes to bring North Greenville within ten.
- The Tornado would answer with an 8-0 run ended by a Che' Davis layup-and-one to blow up the lead 46-28.
- The teams then traded baskets and King led 49-32 going into the final period.
- North Greenville would make another run and cut the King lead down to 8 with 5:48 remaining in the match.
- The Tornado would answer with a Madison Davis steal and Golden fast-break layup on the other end to regain momentum.
- King would eventually finish the game on a 9-3 run and take the game 63-46.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Holloway had a career-high 15 points
- Cupples scored 12 points and added six rebounds in the win.
FOR THE FOES
- Karen Donehaw has a double-double for the Crusaders with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Luttrell has 11 points and racks up six boards.
- King hosts Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday, February 2 at 2 pm.
- North Greenville hosts Erskine College on Wednesday.