BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team was in action at home on Saturday as they hosted Southern Wesleyan. After falling down 22 points the Tornado were able to climb back and take the lead but eventually gave up the lead again and fell 68-67.
FINAL SCORE: Southern Wesleyan 68, King 67
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-9, 7-6 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 8-14, 3-11 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors came out hitting on all cylinders and took an early ten point lead 18-8.
- Southern Wesleyan would end the first period on an 11-0 run going into the second period with a 24-8 lead.
- Southern Wesleyan ballooned the lead all the way up to 22 in the second period before Kiki Samsel drained a three-point basket to stop the bleeding.
- Momentum switched to the King side with back to back shots from Ali Golden and a Warrior turnover sparked the Tornado comeback.
- Back to back three-point baskets from Cupples brought the Southern Wesleyan lead down to seven with three minutes remaining.
- The two teams would exchange baskets and the Warriors would go into halftime with the 40-34 lead.
- King and Southern Wesleyan exchanged baskets throughout the third quarter.
- With one minute remaining in the third period Samsel made a layup in the paint and a Ryleigh Fritz three following a Warrior turnover gave King their first lead of the night 55-52 going into the final period.
- King and Southern Wesleyan would again exchange baskets with five lead changes in the fourth period.
- However, the Warriors would come out on top at the end taking the game 68-67.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Fritz has a career-high 12 points.
- Makenzy Bennett has a career-high seven points and two assists.
- Golden leads the Tornado with 15 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Waters has a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Lisana Burnett has 13 rebounds.
- King hosts Emmanuel College on Wednesday at 5:30 pm.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Converse on Wednesday.