BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team continued their homestand against Emmanuel College. The Tornado held a lead for the majority of the contest, but the Lions had a solid second half, taking the comeback 72-66 victory.
FINAL: Emmanuel 72, King 66
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-10, 7-7 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 15-6, 10-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kristen Cupples drilled a pair of triples early, keying a 9-0 run that gave King a 9-2 lead three minutes into the contest.
- Emmanuel chipped away and cut their deficit to two on numerous occasions throughout the quarter.
- Cupples connected again from long range to beat the buzzer and give King a 23-16 lead after the first period.
- Triples from Kiki Samsel and Arielle Holloway gave King their largest lead at 30-12 two minutes into the second quarter.
- The Lions responded with a 9-0 run, cutting their deficit to 30-27.
- However, King came back and closed the period on an 8-3 spurt, capped by a Che' Davis free throw gave King a 38-30 lead at the break.
- The Tornado advantage grew to 45-35 before Emmanuel scored eight straight points.
- Ali Golden ended the spurt with a basket for the Tornado, but that didn't slow down the Lions.
- Emmanuel scored the final five points of the period, evening the tally at 49 going to the fourth stanza.
- The fourth period was tight the entire way as the lead changed hands six times over the final 10 minutes.
- The Lions took a 54-51 lead with a triple before King responded with baskets by Cupples and Golden in the paint.
- Emmanuel regained the lead and earned a 65-60 lead with two minutes remaining.
- A Desiree Bates triple pulled King back within 68-66, but the Lions scored the final four points at the free throw line to take the contest 72-66.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples led King with 14 points while Golden added 12 points.
- Holloway chipped in with 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Hanna Grogan led Emmanuel with 23 points while Lochlain Corliss added 16 points, six rebounds and four assists.
- Breanna Locke added 10 points and 14 rebounds.
- King returns to the Student Center Complex floor on Saturday when they take on Limestone College at 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts the University of Mount Olive on Saturday.