BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball nearly led wire-to-wire in their victory over Limestone College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado topped Limestone 67-61, taking the season series from the Saints for the first time in program history.
FINAL SCORE: King 67, Limestone 61
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-10, 8-7 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 12-11, 9-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Baskets from Kristen Cupples and Trinity Lee got the Tornado off to a hot start, but the opening stanza was the tightest of the day.
- The first quarter saw four ties and four lead changes as the teams battled back-and-forth.
- The Saints scored four straight points to take their largest lead of the game at 18-14.
- However, King closed the stanza on a 10-1, capped by a Cupples triple in the waning seconds that put the Tornado ahead 24-19 going into the second period.
- Scoring was tough to come by in the second period, but Kiki Samsel gave King their largest lead of the game at 36-25 with one of her two triples in the contest.
- Limestone scored the final two buckets of the half as King took a 36-29 lead into the locker room.
- Limestone chipped away at their deficit in the third period, eventually using a 7-0 spurt to even the score at 44.
- Arielle Holloway ended the run with a jump shot for the Tornado.
- Ali Golden then made a pair of free throws that gave King a 48-45 lead going to the final quarter.
- Limestone took a 49-48 lead early, but Golden knocked down a jump shot and Cupples connected from long range, giving King a 53-49 lead.
- The Saints came back with four straight points to take a 54-53 lead.
- However, Holloway answered with a three-point play that kick-started an 8-0 run.
- Cupples tried to put the game out of reach with a basketball that put King ahead 61-54 with two minutes remaining.
- The Tornado iced the 67-61 victory at the free throw line down the stretch.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Golden led King with 18 points, going 6-for-7 from the free throw line.
- Cupples followed with 17 points, five rebounds and three assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Schekinah Bimpa led Limestone with 28 points and 15 rebounds.
- King hosts rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone hosts Emmanuel College on Saturday.