TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team was on the road Saturday against conference foe North Greenville University. After the Tornado fell early, they were able to fight back but unable to take the lead and fell 79-71.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 79, King 71
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 13-11, 9-8 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 7-19, 6-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the first half of the first period, both teams would exchange baskets with North Greenville taking the slight edge over King 9-8 with five minutes remaining.
- The Crusaders would go on a mini 8-0 run to take a 17-8 lead capped by a three-pointer from Karen Donehew.
- The Tornado would answer and finish the first period with Arielle Holloway making a jump shot in the paint to cut the Crusader lead down to 21-16
- King started off the second period with a three-point basket made by Kiki Samsel to cut the lead down to 21-19.
- Both teams would then go back and forth with North Greenville maintaining the lead throughout the period.
- The Crusaders would lead as much as 11 points in the period but a pair of Trinity Lee free-throws brought the lead down to 42-33 at the end of the half
- Kristen Cupples lead the charge to start the third period knocking down a jumper to bring the NGU lead down 42-35.
- Ryleigh Fritz joined in on the action making a jump shot in the paint to bring the lead down to 47-40.
- However, North Greenville was able to stop the Tornado momentum and string together a few baskets of their own to maintain the lead at the end of the period 53-43
- King went on a mini 11-2 run capped by a Cupples three-point basket to drop the Crusader lead down to just 1 at 56-55.
- The Crusaders, however, would not relinquish the lead and matched the Tornado basket for basket and eventually took the game 79-71.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ali Golden led King with 21 points, going 8-for-15 from the field.
- Lee followed with 18 points and four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Donehew had 23 points and eight rebounds.
- King travels to Converse College on Wednesday, tip-off scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- North Greenville hosts Limestone College on Saturday.