SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team went on the road an earned a victory at Converse College. The Tornado used a big second quarter to gain a sizable advantage in their 69-50 win.
FINAL SCORE: King 69, Converse 50
LOCATION: Hannah Gymnasium; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 14-11, 10-8 Conference Carolinas; Converse 11-13, 5-13 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to a 9-4 lead following a layup from Desiree Bates and triple from Che' Davis four minutes into the contest.
- Kristen Cupples drained a three-point basket in the final minute, stretching the Tornado lead to 19-9 following the first period.
- The Tornado extended their lead to as many as 11 points on numerous occasions throughout the second quarter.
- Every time Converse tried to get a run going, King had an answer as the Tornado held at least an eight-point advantage in the period.
- Ali Golden beat the buzzer, giving King a 32-22 lead at the break.
- King opened the third stanza with back-to-back triples from Cupples and Golden, extending the lead to 38-22.
- The Tornado lead grew to as many as 27 at 53-26 following a Davis free throw late in the quarter.
- Converse closed the quarter on an 8-3 run, but King held a 56-34 lead going to the final period.
- King held their lead around 20 points for the entire fourth period, opening up a 65-42 lead following another Cupples triple.
- The Valkyries cut their deficit to 67-50, but King scored the final two points of the game to take the contest 69-50.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Golden led the Tornado with 19 points and added four assists.
- Cupples followed with 18 points, connecting on four triples.
- Davis added nine points and eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Nigeria Davis led Converse with 17 points and seven rebounds.
- King hosts Barton College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday in the Student Center Complex.
- Converse hosts Emmanuel College on Saturday afternoon.