BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team turned in a balanced effort against Conference Carolinas-leading Barton College in their final home game of the season on Saturday. Five scorers in double figures wasn't enough for the Tornado to pull the upset as Barton came away with a 78-72 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 78, King 72
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-12, 10-9 Conference Carolinas; Barton 22-4, 15-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado used a 6-0 run, capped by a Kristen Cupples layup that gave King a 6-2 advantage.
- King held the upper hand throughout the period that saw five ties.
- The King lead was as big as four points on three occasions, but the Bulldogs scored the final four points of the stanza to even the score at 18 going to the second period.
- The tide turned in the second period as Barton turned a one-point King lead ingot a 30-23 Bulldog advantage with a 10-2 run.
- The Tornado deficit grew to as many as nine at 34-25 before Cupples started a 6-0 run with a three-point play.
- Ali Golden cut the King deficit to 34-31 with a triple, but Barton extended their lead to 43-36 at the half.
- King cut their deficit to five points twice in the early going, but the Bulldogs extended their advantage to 54-41 with an 8-0 run.
- A triple from Arielle Holloway cut the Barton lead to 58-49, but the Bulldogs answered with a triple to take a 61-49 lead into the fourth period.
- Barton earned their largest lead of the game at 66-49 before the Tornado tried to work their way back.
- Holloway ignited a 13-3 Tornado run with a three-point basket.
- The spurt was closed by eight straight King points, capped by a Madison Davis jump shot that cut the King deficit to 69-62 with three minutes remaining.
- Barton answered with a basket and extended their lead to 11 before Holloway ended the scoring with a triple as the Tornado fell 78-72.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples led five scorers in double figures with 19 points to go along with seven rebounds.
- Davis, a fellow senior scored 13 points and added a team-high eight rebounds.
- Golden accounted for 14 points and five assists.
- Trinity Lee and Holloway chipped in with 11 points apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Shanika Peterkin led Barton with 20 points and 19 rebounds.
- Dinah Neal followed with 14 points, nine rebounds and five assists.
- Alexa Roberson added 12 points and Akira Wiggins chipped in with 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King posts five scorers in double figures for the second time this season. The other time was on January 2 at Limestone College.
- King closes the regular season on Tuesday at Southern Wesleyan University. Tipoff from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Barton travels to Limestone on Tuesday night.