CENTRAL, S.C. – In the regular season finale, the King University women's basketball team got off to a hot start and opened up a sizable lead early in the second half. However, the Warriors came back to take the lead and the 79-74 victory in the final minutes.
FINAL SCORE: Southern Wesleyan 79, King 74
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 14-13, 10-10 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 10-18, 5-15 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started out hot, scoring the first five points and knocking down their first three triples in the contest.
- Madison Davis connected on the third trifecta, giving King a 20-12 lead with four minutes remaining in the first quarter.
- The Tornado stretched their lead to 11 points before the Warriors scored the final points of the period, giving King a 27-18 lead going to the second quarter.
- Kristen Cupples capped an 8-0 Tornado run with a triple, putting King ahead 38-22 early in the second stanza.
- Southern Wesleyan then chipped away at their deficit pulling within 42-31 with a 7-2 spurt.
- Che' Davis beat the halftime buzzer for King with an assist to Ali Golden, giving King a 48-35 lead at the break.
- The Tornado didn't slow down to start the second half, opening up their largest lead of the game at 58-41 on back-to-back triples from Cupples.
- King later led 65-49 before Southern Wesleyan closed the quarter on an 8-0 run.
- Denisha Hall beat the buzzer for the Warriors, cutting the King lead to 65-47 going to the fourth quarter.
- Golden started the final period with a triple that extended the Tornado advantage back to double digits.
- However, five straight Warrior points cut the lead down to six points.
- Golden extended the lead back to 70-62 with a layup before Southern Wesleyan went on another run.
- The Warriors scored nine straight points to take their first lead of the game at 71-70.
- Madison Davis was quick to respond with a layup, but Southern Wesleyan counted with back-to-back buckets.
- King couldn't get back to even from there, falling 79-74.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples led the Tornado with 20 points and six rebounds.
- Golden followed with 18 points and six assists.
- Madison Davis chipped in with nine points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Waters led the Warriors with 28 points and 10 rebounds.
- Iva Krstevska followed with 18 points, five rebounds and six assists.
- Tanayja Williams and Hall chipped in with 12 points and 10 points, respectively.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Cupples, the 20 points marks a season-high, only two points off of her career-high.
- King will be the fifth seed in the Conference Carolinas Women's Basketball Championship.
- The Tornado will travel to fourth seeded University of Mount Olive on Monday night. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m