BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team returned to the floor on Saturday following a win against Mars Hill University on Friday night. The Tornado led Tusculum University at halftime, but the Pioneers played a solid second half to grab the 82-62 win.
FINAL SCORE: Tusculum 82, King 62
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-1; Tusculum 2-0
- The Tornado and Pioneers traded shots in the early minutes of the first period, but the Pioneers held a slim advantage in the early minutes.
- Trinity Lee got things going for the Tornado, connecting with the basket for three triples in the middle of the first period to give King a 19-14 advantage.
- A jump shot made by Arielle Holloway and a few made free-throws gave King a 23-14 lead at the end of the first period.
- Kori West had two free-throws and a layup to give King a 27-17 lead, their largest lead of the night.
- However, The Pioneers worked their way back and went on a 6-0 run after three triples from Elle Hutchinson and one from Mya Belton, bringing Tusculum within one of the Tornado.
- Trinity Lee hit another three-point bucket, but the Pioneers offense was fired up going into the middle of the second period.
- Hutchinson would lead Tusculum in their comeback over King, knocking down several triples and free throws.
- The Pioneers defense shut down the Tornado offense late in the second period, only allowing King to shoot 20.0 percent to score nine points.
- King held a 35-33 lead at the half.
- West pulled King ahead 37-35 in the beginning of the third quarter, but the Pioneers offense started to come alive and connect with the basket.
- Jalia Arnwine hit a three-point jump shot for Tusculum, putting them back into the game with a 40-37 lead.
- Hutchinson and Arnwine would lead Tusculum in their comeback over King, knocking down several triples and free-throws to end the period with a 64-49 lead.
- Ali Golden and Trinity Lee opened up the fourth period with two triples, but Tusculum's offense continued to pressure the Tornado defense and went on an 8-0 run.
- Hutchinson knocked down another triple as the Pioneers took the contest 82-62.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Trinity Lee had another impressive performance for the Tornado, finishing with 20 points and five rebounds.
- Lee matched her career-high of 20 points for the fourth time.
- Kiki Samsel finished with 11 points and four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Kasey Johnson led the Pioneers with 20 points and Arnwine followed with 19.
- Hutchinson added 18 points, while Maddie Sutton grabbed a game-high of 10 rebounds.
- King returns to action on Wednesday as they travel to Carson-Newman University. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Tusculum plays Clayton State University on Tuesday.