BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team earned their first conference win on Wednesday night as they defeated Lees-McRae College 81-57. Kori West clenched her second double-double of the season, leading King to the win.
FINAL: King 81, Lees-McRae 57
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-3, 1-0 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 3-7, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bobcats jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the opening quarter, netting two jump shots and a triple in the first four minutes.
- King scored 10 straight points to take a 12-7 lead, following a Ryleigh Fritz triple.
- Following a Lees-McRae basket, King closed the period with a 9-0 run. made one last jump shot of the stanza before King found their momentum on offense and went on a 9-0 run.
- Arielle Holloway scored five points on the run, including a jump shot at the buzzer to give King a 23-11 lead.
- Over the first five minutes of the quarter, King went on an 11-1 run, started by an Ali Golden jump shot.
- Trinity Lee stretched the lead to 30-12 after hitting a pair of free throws and a layup.
- In less than two minutes, King scored six points off layups from West, Amaya Lee, and Holloway, giving King their largest lead of the half at 36-14.
- In the last minute, the Bobcats scored five points, cutting the Tornado lead to 41-22 at the half.
- King finished the period shooting 46.7 percent while holding the Bobcats to 16.7 percent.
- King remained sturdy offensively, as the Tornado opened up the third period with a 10-2 run, with Kiki Samsel and Fritz both scoring five points each.
- Lees-McRae worked their way back in the game after Mason knocked down three triples in the middle of the period.
- Tiana Shuff added another triple for the Bobcats at the end of the period, cutting the King lead to 57-42.
- Lees-McRae scored the first basket of the final period, cutting their deficit to 57-43.
- King responded with five straight points to extend their lead and take the contest 81-57.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West scored 13 points and finished with 11 rebounds, her second double-double of the season. She shot 5-for-14 from the floor.
- Holloway also added 13 points and three rebounds.
- Trinity Lee and Fritz both finished with 12 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Karli Mason led Lees-McRae with 12 points and four rebounds.
- Makayla Smith added 11 points and six rebounds for the Bobcats.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This was West's second double-double of the season.
- King is in action again on Saturday, hosting Belmont Abbey College. Tipoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae travels to Converse College on Saturday.