BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team was in action at home on Wednesday as they hosted conference foe Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado led most of the match and were able to cruise to a 75-62 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 75, Southern Wesleyan 62
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-4, 2-1 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 0-7, 0-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the first half with an 8-0 run, starting with two baskets from Emily Waters and two layups from Lisana Burnett.
- Kiki Samsel got the Tornado on the board, after hitting back-to-back triples to cut the deficit to two.
- Ryleigh Fritz followed with another triple to give King the 9-8 lead, their first lead of the night.
- In the middle of the period, King went on a 13-0 run that started with old-fashioned three-point and ended with a bucket by Ali Golden.
- King finished the period shooting 52.9 percent while holding Southern Wesleyan to 46.7 percent, as King led 24-17 at the end of the period.
- Trinity Lee opened up the period with a triple, extending King's lead to 27-17.
- Aneysa Williams cut the Warrior deficit to 27-22 in the middle of the period, after nailing a triple but King answered with a 4-0 run.
- Samsel extended the lead to 32-22 after a layup.
- The Warriors made a layup with under two minutes remaining, but King led 36-27.
- King started the scoring in the third period after the Tornado opened up the half with four points from West and Trinity Lee baskets.
- In the middle of the period, West scored a layup to extend the Tornado lead to 46-33.
- King held a 16 point advantage over the Warriors three different times, including their 57-41 lead over Southern Wesleyan going into the fourth quarter.
- The Warriors went on an 8-3 run and cut the King lead down to 11 with 8:07 remaining in the match.
- Waters cut the lead down to 10 after a pair of free throws, but Golden answered with a triple, giving King a 65-52 lead.
- Both teams traded shots in the final three minutes, as Southern Wesleyan tried to make a comeback, but King would come out on top with the 75-62 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- West led the Tornado, finishing with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Trinity Lee added 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Samsel and Golden both finished with 13 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Waters led the Warriors with 19 points and six rebounds.
- Burnett finished with 14 points and added six rebounds.
Beyond the Box Score
- West grabbed her third double-double of the season.
- Trinity Lee posted her first career double-double.
- King travels to Barton College on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Limestone College on Saturday.