WILSON, N.C. – The first quarter for the King University women's basketball team at Barton College went back-and-forth, but the Bulldog defense dug in over the middle portion of the contest. The Bulldogs used a 14-0 in the second quarter and 16-0 run in the third quarter to gain control as the took the 78-41 win.
FINAL: Barton 78, King 41
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C
RECORDS: King 4-5, 2-2 Conference Carolinas; Barton 6-3, 3-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded blows in the early going as Kiki Samsel gave King a 7-6 lead four minutes into the contest.
- However, the Bulldogs came with eight straight points before a Trinity Lee triple pulled King within 14-10.
- The King deficit grew to 21-10 before Arielle Hollow scored in the final 10 seconds to cut the Barton lead to 21-12 after the first quarter.
- Holloway continued in the second quarter, score the first two buckets to cut the King deficit to 21-16 in the opening minute.
- The Bulldogs closed out the final vie minutes of the quarter on a run, outscoring King 14-2, including 14 straight points to open up a 42-23 lead at the break.
- The Barton defense held King without a field goal for the final 6:30 of the second quarter as King scored five points from the free throw line.
- The Bulldog run continued in the third quarter as they scored the first 16 points of the half, opening up a 58-23 lead five minutes into the period.
- Holloway got the Tornado back on the board with a pair of free throws at the 4:52 mark before Symantha Fugate scored the first field goal for the Tornado with 4:21 remaining in the quarter.
- At that point, the Tornado trailed 58-27 as the defenses dug in.
- Barton held a 60-30 going to the fourth quarter.
- Barton didn't slow down in the fourth quarter, taking the contest 78-41.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Holloway led King with 14 points, going 6-for-6 from the free throw line.
- Julie Ford grabbed six rebounds and added four points.
FOR THE FOES
- Akira Wiggins led Barton with 17 points to go along with four rebounds and seven assists.
- Shanika Peterson accounted for 15 points and 12 rebounds while Summer Baer chipped in with 13 points.
- King returns home to face Emmanuel College at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
- Barton hosts Chowan University on Tuesday night.