BRISTOL, Tenn. – Wednesday night's contest between the King University women's basketball team and Converse College got off to a slow start, but the Tornado pulled away late for the Conference Carolinas victory. The Tornado opened the game up in the second quarter and took the 74-49 win behind a double-double from Kori West.
FINAL: King 74, Converse 49
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-8, 7-5 Conference Carolinas; Converse 2-19, 1-11 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Converse opened up a 9-5 lead and led 11-7 with two minutes remaining in the opening stanza.
- Kiki Samsel gave King the lead at 13-11 with a triple in the final minute before a Trinity Lee layup gave the Tornado a 15-11 lead.
- Converse scored a free throw, but King led 15-12 after the first period.
- Lee broke a 15-15 tie with a three-point play that ignited a 7-0 Tornado spurt.
- West capped the run and gave King a 22-15 lead three minutes into the period.
- Samsel then started another King run with a trifecta and Ali Golden followed with a layup.
- Lee extended the King lead to 32-17, ending the 10-0 run with a basket with three minutes remaining.
- King then led 37-23 at the half.
- Samsel stretched the Tornado lead to 40-23 with a three-point basket in the opening minute of the third period.
- A Ryleigh Fritz layup then gave King a 47-26 lead with a layup as the Tornado held their lead there, taking a 58-38 advantage to the fourth period.
- West gave King their largest lead of the game at 65-40 with a three-point play three minutes into the fourth quarter.
- King held the lead there, eventually taking the contest 74-49.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led King with 18 points to go along with six rebounds.
- West scored 14 points, 18 rebounds and four assists.
- Samsel chipped in with 16 points.
- Jada Owens added nine points and five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Dominique Hill led Converse with 14 points and six rebounds.
- Ellen Nardella added 12 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West's 18 rebounds was a season-high.
- Owens also set a season-high with nine points.
- King returns to the court on Saturday at Conference Carolinas leading Belmont Abbey College. Tipoff from Belmont, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Converse hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.