BRISTOL, Tenn. - The King University women's basketball team fell behind Barton College in the second period, but fought back against one of the top teams in Conference Carolinas. The Tornado pulled within one possession on multiple occasions, but couldn't take the lead as the Tornado fell 81-76.
FINAL: Barton 81, King 76
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-10, 8-7 Conference Carolinas; Barton 15-5, 12-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton got off a hot start, opening up a 12-4 lead in the first four minutes.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 19-9 before the Tornado closed the period on a 10-4 run.
- Symantha Fugate started the spurt with back-to-back baskets before buckets from Kori West and Ali Golden pulled King within 23-19 after the opening stanza.
- Midway through the second period, the Bulldogs opened up their largest lead of the game at 39-22.
- Trinity Lee ignited a 7-0 with a triple before making a jump shot to pull King within 41-31 with three minutes remaining in the quarter.
- A pair of Fugate free throws cut the King deficit to 42-37, but the Bulldogs scored the final basket of the half, taking a 44-37 lead at the break.
- King tried to get even in the third quarter as a Lee layup pulled King within 44-41 in the opening minute, but the Bulldogs had an answer each time.
- The Tornado deficit grew to 16, but Lee connected from long range and Arielle Holloway beat the buzzer, starting a run and cutting the King deficit to 64-53 going to the fourth quarter.
- King started the fourth quarter on a run, scoring the first 10 points as a Golden layup pulled King within 64-63.
- The Tornado stayed close until the Bulldogs scored seven straight points to open up a 76-67 lead with four minutes remaining.
- Golden started another Tornado run with a pair of free throws before Lee drilled a three-point basket.
- Ryleigh Fritz pulled King within 78-76 with 26 seconds left, but Barton closed out the 81-76 win at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led King with 20 points while Golden followed with 11 points.
- Holloway added 10 points off the bench while West chipped in with eight points and 11 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Shanika Peterkin led Barton with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Michelle Gainey poured in 19 points while Akira Wiggins recorded 12 points and six assists.
- Jami Tham-Morrobel added 15 points and five rebounds.
- King travels to Erskine College on Wednesday. Tipoff from Due West, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Barton travels to the University of Mount Olive on Wednesday night.