MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team took to the road to take on one of the top teams in Conference Carolinas. The Tornado hung with the University of Mount Olive, but the Trojans pulled away late to take the 64-55 victory.
FINAL: Mount Olive 64, King 55
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 12-11, 9-8 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 16-6, 13-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive jumped out to a 6-0 before a pair of Kiki Samsel free throws got the Tornado on the board.
- Nearly three minutes into the game, Trinity Lee made a layup for the first King field goal.
- The Trojans extended their lead to 17-8 on a triple in the final minute, but Samsel answered with a three-point basket on the next possession as Mount Olive led 17-11 going to the second quarter.
- Ali Golden scored the first basket of the second quarter, pulling King within 17-13, but Mount Olive connected from long range again to extend the lead.
- King responded with a 9-0 as a three-point play from Lee evened the score at 20 and Samsel gave King a 22-20 lead with three minutes remaining until halftime.
- The teams then went back-and-forth before Lee made a layup as time expired to even the score at 31 at the break.
- Mount Olive scored the first four points of the half and later used a 10-0 run to open up a 47-34 lead.
- Amaya Lee drilled a trifecta in the final minute to end the spurt and pull King within 47-37 going to the fourth quarter.
- King scored the first five points of the final period on a Ryleigh Fritz three-point play and Trinity Lee layup to force a Mount Olive timeout with the Tornado trailing 49-42.
- Golden made it a 7-0 run out of the timeout, but the Trojans responded with a triple nearly four minutes into the quarter.
- A Trinity Lee three-point basket pulled King within 52-47 on the next possession, but the Tornado couldn't get any closer as the Trojans scored seven of the next nine points.
- King couldn't muster another comeback as Mount Olive took the 64-55 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Trinity Lee led King with 19 points and eight rebounds.
- Samsel followed with 11 points while Fritz and Golden chipped in with nine points each.
- Kori West collected 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Sherry Johnson led Mount Olive with 17 points and six rebounds off the bench.
- Hope Toliver followed with 16 points.
- Jada Backus accounted for 15 points and 12 rebounds while Kelly Post snared 10 rebounds and added seven assists.
- King stays on the road to take on Emmanuel College on Wednesday. Tipoff from Due West, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.