BRISTOL, Tenn. – On senior day, the King University women's basketball team came away with a resounding win over Chowan University. The Tornado started slow but played well over the final three quarters to take the 72-45 victory.
FINAL: King 72, Chowan 45
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-12, 10-9 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 4-19, 4-15 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chowan jumped out to a 9-4 lead before a Kori West three-point play and Arielle Holloway basket evened the score and forced Chowan to call timeout four minutes in the game.
- The teams then traded baskets for the remainder of the period with Chowan holding a 15-13 lead going to the second period.
- The Tornado trailed 26-20 early in the second quarter before a Ryleigh Fritz trifecta ignited the Tornado offense.
- Four points from West gave King the lead before Ali Golden and Fritz closed the 11-0 run that put King ahead 31-26 with baskets.
- Golden then gave King a 35-28 lead at the break with a jump shot in the final two minutes.
- The Hawks came out and pulled within 37-34 early in the third quarter, but West started another Tornado run with a layup.
- This time King scored 10 straight points as a Golden triple extended the King lead to 47-34 midway through the frame.
- Back-to-back triples from Golden and Fritz stretched the Tornado advantage to 57-36 before a Hawk basket made the score 57-38 going to the fourth quarter.
- The Tornado lead stayed near 20 points for the entire fourth quarter as King took the 72-45 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Fritz led King with 17 points and added five rebounds. She went 3-for-3 from three-point range and 5-for-8 from the floor.
- Golden followed with 16 points.
- West posted 13 points and 13 rebounds.
- Miyah Cook snared nine rebounds and score four points.
FOR THE FOES
- Keibra Hopkins led Chowan with 15 points while Teylahna Green scored eight points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The nine rebounds for Cook matches a career-high.
- King hosts Erskine College on Wednesday night. Tipoff from the Student Center is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Chowan travels to Southern Wesleyan University on Wednesday night.