GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team earned a tough road win against Conference Carolinas perennial power Limestone College. The Tornado trailed entering the fourth quarter, but fought back as a Trinity Lee triple in the waning seconds gave King the 74-71 victory.
FINAL: King 74, Limestone 71
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 15-12, 12-9 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 19-8, 14-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening period went back-and-forth as both teams shot better than 50 percent from the floor.
- King shot 52.6 percent while the Saints topped that mark, making 61.1 percent of their shots, including 71.4 percent from three-point range.
- The Saints opened up an 11-4 lead before a Kori West layup got the Tornado going.
- Ryleigh Fritz and Kiki Samsel then drilled consecutive triples to give King a 12-11 following the 8-0 spurt.
- Limestone stretched their lead back to six, but King came back with six straight points to even the score at 18.
- An Arielle Holloway triple pulled King within two in the final minute, but Limestone scored the final basket to take a 27-23 lead into the second period.
- The Tornado defense locked down the Limestone offense in the second period, holding the Saints to a 15.0 field goal percentage.
- A Lee offensive rebound and putback gave King a 31-30 lead as Limestone took a timeout midway through the period.
- Limestone scored a basket out of the break, but then King only allowed two more Saint points over the final five minutes and 30 seconds.
- King scored eight straight points to open up a 39-32 lead following an Ali Golden steal and layup.
- The Tornado scored the final point of the half, taking a 40-34 lead at the break.
- West gave King a 42-34 lead with the first points of the second half, but Limestone rolled off nine straight points to take a 43-42 lead before Fritz stopped the run with a basket.
- Limestone closed the period with a 5-0 run to take a 55-54 lead.
- The Saints looked to pull away early in the fourth period, opening up a 62-56 lead in the opening four minutes.
- King fought back and pulled within two on a few occasions before a Samsel trifecta gave King a 67-66 lead with 3:10 remaining.
- Limestone answered and held a 69-67 lead before Golden connected from long rand with 1:32 remaining.
- The Saints scored on their next possession before each team had empty possessions, giving King the ball down 71-70 in the final 20 seconds.
- Head coach Josh Thompson called timeout and drew up a play.
- The play was effective as Samsel found Lee who drilled a three-point basket with 10 seconds remaining.
- King then got a stop and West closed the 74-71 victory with a free throw in the final seconds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee lead four King scorers in double figures with 19 points. She added nine rebounds and five steals.
- Fritz added 14 points and six rebounds while Samsel chipped in with 11 points.
- Golden scored 10 points and added five rebounds.
- West collected 12 rebounds to go along with nine points and four assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Reagan McCray led Limestone with 17 points and five rebounds.
- Quin Byrd added 16 points and Jayla Morrow scored 13 points.
- Schekinah Bimpa snared 15 rebounds and scored six points.
- King closes the regular season on Tuesday night at North Greenville University. Tipoff from Tigerville, S.C. is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Limestone travels to Chowan University on Tuesday night.