FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's basketball team traveled to Emmanuel College as they tried to avenge a pair of narrow defeats in the regular season. However, the Tornado couldn't top the Lions in the Conference Carolinas Tournament quarterfinal, falling 72-63.
FINAL: No. 3 Emmanuel 72, No. 6 King 63
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 16-13; Emmanuel 20-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A triple from Ali Golden and layup from Kori West got King off to a good start, leading 5-0 in the opening two minutes.
- Two more West baskets and a Golden layup gave King an 11-4 lead before the Lions started to chip away at the deficit.
- Emmanuel scored 10 straight points to take a 14-11 lead before Trinity Lee connected from long range.
- The score was again even at 16 before the Lions scored the final four points of the period to take a 20-16 lead into the second period.
- A Kiki Samsel triple pulled King even at 22 early in the second quarter as the teams started to trade baskets.
- Emmanuel opened up a 29-24 before Lee drilled a triple and Arielle Holloway made two free throws to even the score.
- Another Samsel three gave King a 32-29 lead following the 8-0 run.
- However, Emmanuel scored the final four points of the quarter to take a 33-32 lead at the half.
- Emmanuel started to gradually pull away in the third quarter, using five straight points to take a 41-34 lead.
- The Lions then scored eight straight points to open up a 49-37 lead before West made a layup to make the score 49-39 after three quarters.
- King opened the fourth quarter on an 8-2, pulling within 51-47 following a Golden layup in the opening two minutes.
- However, Emmanuel responded with nine straight points, extending their lead to 62-49 with five minutes remaining.
- The Tornado couldn't get a run going down the stretch, falling 72-63.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lee led King with 16 points while Golden followed with 13.
- West scored 13 points and added 14 rebounds in her final career game.
- Samsel added 12 points.
- Holloway scored two points to go along with six rebounds and two assists in her final game wearing the scarlet and navy.
FOR THE FOES
- Breanna Locke led Emmanuel with 29 points and 16 rebounds.
- Ajah Taylor followed with 14 points and Brooke Whitaker chipped in with 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With her first basket of the game, Golden scored her 1,000th career point. She ends her junior season with 1,012 points.