ROANOKE, Va. – The King University men's wrestling team opened the season on Sunday at the highly competitive Hokie Open and were led by a third place finish. Elijah Seay reached the semifinals and took third place at 197 pounds to lead the Tornado.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Seay started his day with a 3:57 pin of Appalachian State University's Paul Carlson before taking an 8-0 major decision over Ben Stacey of Chattanooga.
- In the semifinals, Seay dropped a 5-2 decision to eventual champion John Borst of Virginia Tech University. However, Seay rebounded to pin Gunnar Larson of Army in 1:47 to take third.
- Bryan Flores-Garcia dropped his first match at 141 pounds to a Division I opponent, but rebounded to defeat John Smith of Coker College 7-4 and Brady Miller of VMI on a 12-2 major decision. However, he fell to Isiah Royal of Newberry College to end his day.
- At 149 pounds, Landon Goforth dropped a 10-6 decision to Virginia Tech's Brendan Grammes before coming back with a 5:15 pin of Austin Reams of Gardner-Webb University. However, he fell to Gardner-Webb's Taylor Parks to end his day.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
149 – Landon Goforth 1-2
197 – Elijah Seay 3-1, 3rd
- King will be in action again on Saturday when they host the King Open in the Student Center Complex. The action begins at 9:00 a.m.