BRISTOL, Tenn. – In their second outing of the season, the King University men's wrestling team had a good showing at the King Open. Four Tornado won individual titles while the Tornado took a runner-up and third place finish.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 149 pounds, Landon Goforth won all three of his matches to take the title. Following a 10-3 decision over Travis Allen of Belmont Abbey College in the quarterfinals, Goforth pinned Reinhardt University's Kalvin Harris in 40 seconds.
- In the final, Goforth took a 10-3 victory over Antonio Robinson of Reinhardt.
- Matthew Danner started his 3-0 day at 157 pounds with an 18-0 technical fall over Dillon Turner of Emmanuel College. He then topped Emmanuel's Chandler Saine 7-2 in the semifinals.
- In the final, Danner defeated Reinhardt's Caleb Mariakia 8-4.
- Elijah Seay won all three of his matches by fall to take the 197-pound title. He started with a pin in 23 seconds over Seth Petarra of Queens University before pinning Steven Decius of Limestone College in 6:53.
- In the final, Seay pinned Jermel Lewis of Emmanuel in 41 seconds.
- Eldon Valery, Jr., started his 4-0 day with a 48 second pin of Reinhardt's Nate Hall at 285 pounds. He followed that with a 4-1 decision over Kyler Childers of Oklahoma Wesleyan University and a 9-5 decision over Chaas Delgado of Belmont Abbey College.
- In the final, Valery, Jr. defeated Reinhardt's Hinton Bolinger 2-1 in overtime to take the title.
- Kody Eichlin reached the finals at 184 pounds with back-to-back wins. He started with a 4-2 decision over Belmont Abbey's Brian Girard before topping Tyler Maclaine of Belmont Abbey 4-2 in the second overtime period.
- However, in the final he fell to Reinhardt's Antonia Stewart 4-0, giving him a runner-up finish.
- Darius Rutland finished third at 174 pounds, going 4-1 on the day. He started with a 1:54 pin of Koby Desselle of Middle Tennessee State University before defeating Hunter Fortner 6-5.
- He then fell to eventual champion, Jake Glunt of Belmont Abbey 4-3 before winning his final two matches in the consolation bracket.
- He pinned Desselle again, this time in 2:39 before pinning Fortner in 3:42 to give him a third place finish.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 0-2
149 – Landon Goforth 3-0, 1st
174 – Darius Rutland 4-1, 3rd
184 – Kody Eichlin 3-1, 2nd
197 – Elijah Seay 3-0, 1st
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 4-0, 1st
- King will be in action again on November 19 at the Georgia College State Open in Royston, Ga.