BRISTOL, Tenn. – The 21st-ranked King University men's wrestling team made their first dual of the season a memorable one. The Tornado came back from a 22-6 deficit to defeat Belmont Abbey College 23-22 behind four straight victories to close out the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) match.
FINAL SCORE: #21 King 23, Belmont Abbey 22
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0, 1-0 ECAC; Belmont Abbey 1-1, 0-1 ECAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey got off to a good start, taking a 16-0 lead behind a pin, forfeit and major decision at the first three weight classes.
- At 149 pounds, Landon Goforth got the Tornado on the board with a 6-2 decision over Matthew Sloan. In the second period, Goforth got an escape and takedown to take a 3-0 lead.
- He then got another escape and two takedowns in the third period for the win.
- Matthew Danner followed with a win at 157 pounds for the Tornado. He earned a takedown in the second period to grab the lead, taking the 4-1 victory over Jonathan Gahagan.
- The Crusaders extended their lead to 22-6 with a pin at 165 pounds before Joey Mammolenti got the Tornado going again.
- At 174 pounds, Mammolenti took an 8-0 lead over Jake Glunt with a pair of nearfalls in the opening period. He then got a pair of takedowns and near fall in the second period to take the 15-0 technical fall.
- Kody Eichlin followed with a tight 3-2 decision over Tyler MacLaine at 184 pounds. Eichlin got an early takedown to take the lead and an escape in the second period. MacLaine scored an escape in the third period, but Eichlin held on for the victory.
- At 197 pounds, Elijah Seay got a takedown early against Lucas Scarlett and then got him to his back, taking the fall in 2:12.
- That pulled King within 22-20 of Belmont Abbey with Eldon Valery, Jr. coming up at 285 pounds.
- Valery got an escape against Chaas Delgado in the second period, and Delgado got an escape in the third period, sending the match to overtime.
- Only 15 seconds into the extra session, Valery earned a takedown, giving him the 3-1 win and King the 23-22 victory.
- King is in action again on December 16-17 at the Midwest Classic in Indianapolis, Ind.
- Belmont Abbey takes on Coker College on Tuesday.
#21 KING (1-0, 1-0 ECAC) 23, BELMONT ABBEY 22 (1-1, 0-1 ECAC)
125 – Nathan Oakley (BAC) pinned Reed Jacks (KING), 5:55 (BAC 6-0)
133 – Justin Payne (BAC) wins by forfeit, (BAC 12-0)
141 – Troy Gregor (BAC) major decision Bryan Flores-Garcia (KING), 9-1 (BAC 16-0)
149 – Landon Goforth (KING) decision Matthew Sloan (BAC), 6-2 (BAC 16-3)
157 – Matthew Danner (KING) decision Jonathan Gahagan (BAC), 4-1 (BAC 16-6)
165 – Greg Hilliard (BAC) pinned Bailey Slattman (KING), 0:45 (BAC 22-6)
174 – Joey Mammolenti (KING) technical fall Jake Glunt (BAC), 15-0 (5:20) (BAC 22-11)
184 – Kody Eichlin (KING) decision Tyler MacLaine (BAC), 3-2 (BAC 22-14)
197 – Elijah Seay (KING) pinned Lucas Scarlett (BAC), 2:12 (BAC 22-20)
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. (KING) decision Chaas Delgado (BAC), 3-1 SV-1 (KING 23-22)