INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The 20th-ranked King University men's wrestling team competed Saturday at the 39th Annual Midwest Classic in Indianapolis. Dustin Kirk led the way for the Tornado going 3-0 on the day and helping King place 18th out of 35 teams after day one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 133 pounds Kirk started the day with a 5-2 decision over Jayquon McEntyre of UNC Pembroke and followed that with an 11-3 major decision over Ouachita Baptist's Weston Cronan.
- In his quarterfinal matchup, Kirk took down fifth-ranked Josh Walker of Upper Iowa with a 3-2 decision. Kirk finished the day with a 3-0 record and will be in action in the semifinals tomorrow.
- At 141 pounds Bryan Flores-Garcia finished the day going 1-2 overall. His win came in the first round of the consolation bracket when he won by fall against Northern State's Josh Moore.
- Matthew Danner, 157 pounds, had a similar day to teammate Flores-Garcia as he too went 1-2 on the day and won in the first round of the consolation bracket. His win came on an 11-3 major decision over West Liberty University's Josh Cornell.
- At 174 pounds, Joey Mammolenti started his day off strong with a win by fall over Kyle Ryan of Newman, however, Mammolenti struggled the rest of the day and lost both of his remaining matches.
- Elijah Seay wrestled at 197 pounds for the Tornado and started his day off with a win by fall over Diego Gallegos of Northern State.
- Next, Seay took on Brian Wagner of Indianapolis and defeated him by fall. However, in Seay's third match of the day he fell in the quarterfinals on a 3-1 decision to Konnor Schmidt of Western State Colorado University. Seay will wrestle again tomorrow for a shot to place in the tournament.
- Eldon Valery, Jr. went 2-2 on the day for the Tornado. He posted his first win in the first round of the consolation bracket when he took a win by fall over Josh McCorkle on Bellarmine University.
- Valery posted his second victory in the second round of the consolation bracket when he defeated Lane Lettau of Augustana by decision 9-4. In the third round of the consolation bracket, Valery fell in overtime 7-6 to Limestone's Daniel Bland.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 0-2
133 – Dustin Kirk 3-0
141 – Bryan Flores 1-2
149 – Landon Goforth 0-2
157 – Matthew Danner 1-2
165 – Darius Rutland 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 1-2
184 – Kody Eichlin 0-2
197 – Elijah Seay 2-1
285 – Eldon Valery 2-2
- The 39th Annual Midwest Classic in Indianapolis concludes tomorrow for King.