BRISTOL, Tenn. – In a dual match atop the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), the 22nd-ranked King University men's wrestling team went toe-to-toe with 13th-ranked Newberry College early in the dual. However, the Wolves pulled away with a pair of pins, taking the dual 30-13.
FINAL SCORE: #13 Newberry 30, #22 King 13
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-5, 3-1 ECAC; Newberry 10-5, 3-0 ECAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Newberry earned decision in the first two bouts, taking a slim 6-0 lead.
- Nevertheless, the Tornado came back as ninth-ranked Bryce Killian came up with a takedown in the first period and went on to defeat Isaiah Royal 4-0 at 141 pounds.
- Landon Goforth followed with a big third period at 149 pounds. The bout was even at 4-4 before Goforth earned an escape and a takedown. That added with a riding time point gave him the 8-4 win over Tyler Wicken and evened the team score.
- However, the Wolves earned pins in the next two bouts, taking an 18-6 advantage.
- It appeared the Tornado would have another run in them as Darius Rutland tried to get King going with a major decision over Louis Wilson at 174 pounds.
- Rutland earned a takedown in each of the first two periods and got a takedown just before the buzzer, giving him the 8-0 major decision.
- At 184 pounds, Kody Eichlin followed with a 6-1 decision over Austin Coker behind a big third period. Eichlin earned an escape and takedown to ice the victory.
- However, the Wolves got another pin at 197 and took the final bout by forfeit for the 30-13 victory.
#13 Newberry (10-5, 3-0 ECAC) 30, #22 King (6-5, 3-1 ECAC) 13
125 – Austin Neal (NBY) dec. Reed Jacks (KING), 11-5 (NBY 3-0)
133 – Nolan Whitley (NBY) dec. #4 Dustin Kirk (KING), 3-2 (NBY 6-0)
141 – #9 Bryce Killian (KING) dec. Isaiah Royal (NBY), 4-0 (NBY 6-3)
149 – Landon Goforth (KING) dec. Tyler Wicken (NBY), 8-4 (6-6)
157 – #5 Austin Palmer (NBY) pinned Matthew Danner (KING), 2:05 (NBY12-6)
165 – Alex Rice (NBY) pinned Bailey Slattman (KING), 0:28 (NBY 18-6)
174 – Darius Rutland (KING) maj. dec. Louis Wilson (NBY), 8-0 (NBY 18-10)
184 – Kody Eichlin (KING) dec. Austin Crocker (NBY), 6-1 (NBY 18-13)
197 – Nick Weldon (NBY) pinned Elijah Seay (KING), 1:31 (NBY 24-13)
285 – Patton Gossett (NBY) wins by forfeit (NBY 30-13)
- King travels to take on Limestone College on Tuesday. The ECAC dual is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. in Gaffney, S.C.
- Newberry next hosts the Newberry Open on Saturday.