FINDLAY, Ohio – The King University men's wrestling team had a successful first day at the NCAA Super Region II Championships. Dustin Kirk and Bryce Killian each reached the semifinals and three other Tornado are alive in the consolation bracket at their weight class.
KING RESULTS: 8th of 13
LOCATION: Koehler Fitness and Recreation Complex; Findlay, Ohio
INFORMATION: top four placers at each weight qualify for NCAA Wrestling Championships
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 2017 All-American's Kirk and Killian got off to great starts, winning their first two matches on Friday.
- In Kirk's lone match of the day at 133 pounds, he pinned Lawrance Dudgeon of Ashland University in 1:48 to reach the semifinals.
- Killian only wrestled one match as well, defeating Ashland's Robert Mason 3-0 to reach the semifinals at 141 pounds.
- At 149 pounds, Landon Goforth fell to eight-ranked Trey Grine of Tiffin University in quarterfinals before defeating Limestone College's Nicholas Leitten on a 12-4 major decision to reach the consolation quarterfinals.
- Kody Eichlin also in the consolation quarterfinals at 184 pounds after going 1-1 on the day.
- Following a defeat to Raekwon Reggler of Limestone, Eichlin bounced back with a 5-4 decision over Faris Teia of UNC Pembroke to reach the consolation quarterfinals.
- At 285 pounds, Eldon Valery, Jr., went 2-1 to reach the consolation quarterfinals. He started with a 3-1 decision over Andrew Colborn of UNC Pembroke before falling to seventh-ranked Mimmo Lytle of the University of Findlay.
- He ended the day with a 3-1 overtime victory over Chass Delgado of Belmont Abbey College.
KING RESTULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – Dustin Kirk 1-0, semifinals
141 – Bryce Killian 1-0, semifinals
149 – Landon Goforth 1-1, consolation quarterfinals
157 – Matthew Danner 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 1-1
184 – Kody Eichlin 1-1, consolation quarterfinals
197 – Elijah Seay 1-2
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 2-1, consolation quarterfinals
- The tournament resumes at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday and championship matches are scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.