FINDLAY, Ohio – The King University men's wrestling team had five individuals alive on the second day of the NCAA Midwest Regional, and two finished in the top four to advance to the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Bryce Killian finished runner-up for the second straight year and Dustin Kirk finished third, both advancing to the NCAA Championships.
KING RESULTS: 9th of 13
LOCATION: Koehler Fitness and Recreation Complex; Findlay, Ohio
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the third straight year, Kilian will compete at the NCAA Championships at 141 pounds after splitting a pair of matches on Saturday.
- In the semifinals, Killian defeated fourth-ranked Anthony Cheloni of UW-Parkside in overtime 5-1.
- He fell to fifth-ranked Nick Crume of the University of Indianapolis 2-0 in the final, giving him a runner-up finish for the second straight season.
- At 133 pounds, Kirk fell to second-ranked Airk Furseth of UW-Parkside 5-3 in the semifinals, but he came back with a pair of wins to take third.
- Kirk started with a 6:28 pin of Lake Erie College's Forrest Glogouski in the consolation semifinals before defeating Lawrance Dudgeon of Ashland University 4-3 in the third place bout.
- Landon Goforth nearly qualified, starting his day with a 6-1 decision over Matthew Kieta of Coker College.
- However, he fell to UNC Pembroke's Tyler Makosy in the consolation semifinals, 7-6.
- Kody Eichlin and Eldon Valery, Jr. also made it to the second day, but each fell in their only match of the day.
KING RESTULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – Dustin Kirk 3-1, 3rd
141 – Bryce Killian 3-1, 2nd
149 – Landon Goforth 2-2, 6th
157 – Matthew Danner 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 1-2
184 – Kody Eichlin 1-2
197 – Elijah Seay 1-2
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 2-2
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Both Killian and Kirk earned All-America honors a season ago. Kirk finished third and Killian took seventh.
- Killian and Kirk will be in action again on March 9-10 at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.