CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – For the second straight year, the King University men's wrestling team has a pair of All-Americans. Bryce Killian finished sixth at the NCAA Wrestling Championships and Dustin Kirk finished eighth. The Tornado also posted their best team finish in program history, taking 19th.
KING RESULTS: 19th of 50
LOCATION: U.S. Cellular Center; Cedar Rapids, Iowa
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ranked eighth at 141 pounds, Killian won his first bout of the day, defeating 10th-ranked Tyler Warner of Wheeling Jesuit University 8-6 in the consolation quarterfinals.
- However, Killian fell to third-ranked Jarred Oftedahl of St. Cloud State University in the semifinals and 11th-ranked Joseph Calderone of LIU Post in the fifth place bout, giving Killian and sixth place finish.
- At 133 pounds, Kirk was ranked 10th and squared off with seventh-ranked Darius Bunch of West Liberty University in the consolation quarterfinals. Kirk dropped a tight 3-2 decision, dropping him to the seventh place match.
- In the seventh place match, Kirk fell to eighth ranked Nolan Whitley of Newberry College, giving him an eighth place finish.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Killian became the first Tornado to compete in the NCAA Wrestling Championships three times.
- Both Killian and Kirk become the first two-time All-Americans for King.
- A season ago, Killian finished seventh and Kirk took third.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
133 – Dustin Kirk 2-3, 8th
141 – Bryce Killian 3-3, 6th