BLACKSBURG, Va. – The King University men's wrestling team opened the season on Sunday at the Hokie Open. Cade Ridley led the Tornado with a fourth place finish in the freshman/sophomore division.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cade Ridley finished fourth at 285 pounds, the only non-NCAA Division I wrestler to place in the top four of the freshman/sophomore division.
- He started his career with a 5-4 decision over Keaton Kluever of the University of North Carolina, Ridley then pinned Matthew Bourne of Bluefield College in 2:39 to reach the semifinals.
- However, he dropped his final two matches to Mitchell Trigg of Davidson College 5-1 and Michael Burchell of Appalachian State University 5-2 to finish fourth.
- Also at 285 pounds, Chris Vasquez earned his first career win, a 15-7 major decision over Calvin Hayford of Campbell University. However, he dropped his other two matches on the day.
- At 125 pounds, Elijah Hicks won his first match of the day on a 17-5 major decision over Spencer Reed of George Mason University.
- He later took a 14-8 major decision over Will Anders of Bluefield College, but he dropped his next match to end his day.
- Also at 125 pounds, Rylee Billings went 3-2, winning his first two matches via pin, starting with a 2:20 pin over Anders. He then pinned Will Jacobs of The Citadel in 1:00.
- Following a defeat, Billings defeated Virginia Tech University's Hunter Graf 5-4 before falling in the next match to end his day.
- Riley Alderman went 1-2 on the day, pinning Nathan Buchanan of UNC Pembroke in 3:45.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS – FRESHMAN/SOPHOMORE DIVISION
133 – Josh Wynn 0-2
141 – Riley Alderman 1-2
165 – Tyler Williams 0-2
- King returns to action on Sunday at the King Open in the Student Center Complex.