BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's wrestling team began the evening with an early lead, but fall to Cumberland University late in the match 19-27. The Tornado was led by Elijah Hicks and Elijah Seay both coming away with dominate, early pins.
FINAL SCORE: King University 19, Cumberland University 27
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-1, 0-0 South Atlantic Conference Carolinas; Cumberland 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 125 Rylee Billings gave up the first takedown of the night, but that would be the only points he allowed. With a quick escape and immediate takedown Billings managed to extend his win to 11-2, giving King the early match advantage.
- Elijah Hicks added to the Tornado lead at 133, with a quick takedown and a wealth of riding points, he finished with a pin in the second period.
- Cumberland found their first win of the night over Colin Leonard at 141, with a pin in the first, bringing the match score to 10-6.
- Bryson Hux put together a tough match at 149, coming down to the final 30 seconds Cumberland comes away with the pin and the overall match lead 10-12.
- At 157 Tyler Williams shows up early with two explosive attacks and continued this dominance throughout the match. He picks up a decision and King reclaims the match advantage.
- Elijah Davis takes an early lead over Cumberland 7-4 at 165, but a strong leg ride allowed CU to reclaim the lead and extend their riding time for the decision over Davis. This resulted in yet another lead change between KU and CU.
- At 174 William Seymour put together a great effort trying to reclaim the lead for King, but he would fall short in a 2-8 decision.
- Matthew Danner also had a close match at 184. He kept the match close but in the third period CU manages to take the win by pin, extending their match lead to 13-24.
- Preseason ranked Elijah Seay showed up at 197 ready for business. He knew King needed a pin to have a chance at winning the dual. With an immediate takedown and a close pin that included back points, Seay took the match in the first period and put King in position to win the dual.
- At 285 Cade Ridley took the advantage early but a final second takedown by CU sealed the deal.
- Final score: King 19, Cumberland 27
- The Tornado will compete at The Wolfpack Open in Raleigh, NC on Sunday November, 17
- Cumberland travels to the Grandview Open on Saturday.