RALEIGH, N.C. – The King University men's wrestling team competed this weekend at NC State's annual Wolfpack Open. The tournament was loaded with talent from all divisions and offered a great look for the Tornado moving into December. This year King was led by Elijah Seay as he punished his way to the finals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rylee Billings got the Tornado rolling with two early wins at 125, stunning nearby Appalachian State 4-2. Billings finished the day 2-2 after a tough decision to NC State and then Virginia Tech.
- Austin Kolikas and Josh Gardner grabbed a pair of wins against regional rival UNC Pembroke.
- Cade Ridley also managed a productive day, knocking off region rival Newberry and grabbing a pair of pins. He would fall to NC State and App State to finish 2-2 at 285.
- The biggest finish on the day came from 197 pounds Seay. He picks up a 16-0 tech fall early against Gardner Webb and a decision against Virginia. In the quarterfinals, he pulled out a huge pin against Appalachian State in the final seconds of the third period. In the semifinals, Seay snagged a second-period pin over Virginia Tech's Cody Howard to advance to the finals.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
141lbs – Austin Kolikas 1-2
157lbs – Tyler Williams 0-2
197lbs – Elijah Seay 4-1, 2nd
285lbs – Cade Ridley 2-2
- Saturday, November 23 at 3:00 p.m., the Tornado return to action at home against Fairmont State University.