BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's wrestling team held their annual Tornado Open this year at The Student Center Complex. With 27 team appearances, this year shaped up to be one of the best. Elijah Seay led the Tornado this year with a finals appearance. Also making the podium were Rylee Billings placing third and Austin Kolikas with a fourth place finish.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 125 Rylee Billings picks up a trio of wins in the championship round including a fall and major decision. After dropping a close match to the eventual champion, Billings wrecks the other side of the bracket. He grabs a major decision and finishes the day off with a commanding 17-0 win by tech fall to finish third.
- Elijah Hicks also started the day strong at 133 with wins by fall and major decision. He dropped an extremely close match to advance to the semifinals. He would pick up another win to finish 3-2.
- At 141 Austin Kolikas also advances to the semifinals with wins by decision and fall. After a close decision, he would wrestle back to fourth.
- The middle weights for King were led by William Seymour at 184. He finished 2-2 on the day with a pair of pins, barely missing the podium. Also picking up wins for The Tornado were Matthew Danner and Camden Buckingham at 174 and 184, respectively.
- Elijah Seay led the Tornado today with a strong second place finish. He would drop a close decision, but in route to the finals he manages a pin and technical fall.
- Also at 197 Isaah Perez grabs a duo of wins by decision, only dropping matches against eventual medalists throughout the tournament.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125lbs – Rylee Billings 3-1, 3rd
133lbs – Elijah Hicks 3-2
141lbs – Austin Kolikas 3-2, 4th
157lbs – Tyler Williams 0-2
157lbs – Alex Mercardo 0-2
- The Tornado travel to Indianapolis for the Midwest Classic scheduled for December 14 and 15.