BRISTOL, Tenn. - The King University men's wrestling team hosted conference rival Newberry College this evening at the Student Center Complex in Bristol, TN. Newberry took the win by a score of 23-16, but Rylee Billings, Cory Collins, Elijah Seay and Cade Ridley all came away with regional wins.
FINAL SCORE: Newberry 23, King 16
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-6, 2-2 South Atlantic Conference Carolinas, Newberry 2-3, 2-1 South Atlantic Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 125 Billings put together an impressive major decision to give King the early match lead.
- A close loss at 133 pounds and a duo of forfeits then gave Newberry the match advantage.
- Collins had an incredible match up at 165 pounds. Collins took the early lead but found himself down by three points in the second period. Collins went on to score two unanswered takedowns and take the win by a score of 8-7.
- Seay gave up an early takedown at 197 pounds but very soon recovered. He walked away with a first-period fall.
- The final match of the night hosted heavyweight Ridley. He managed an early first-period lead with commanding riding time. He would go on to win the match by decision.
- Final score: King 16, Newberry 23
- The Tornado will travel to Hartsville, S.C. on February 9 to take on Coker College at 2:00 p.m.