Tornado fall to Limestone after conceding two early goals

Photo taken by Tessa Klingensmith
Photo taken by Tessa Klingensmith

GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University women's soccer team was able to bounce back from a slow start but it would not be enough. After two early goals, the Tornado saw themselves in a hole but were able to tie the game early in the second half before conceding another goal, falling to Limestone College 3-2.

The first three minutes of the game were slow, however, in the fourth minute Limestone got on the board. On a breakaway, Gabriella Reid sent a shot off the charging Nicole Dagher that barely crossed the line making the score Limestone 1, King 0.

Reid found the goal again for Limestone in the ninth minute. Off a long ball that sailed over the defense, Reid saw herself one-on-one with the keeper. She sent the ball pass Dagher into the bottom right corner of the net pushing the Saints lead to 2-0.

King (6-6, 3-3) looked to have an opportunity in the tenth minute when Hulda Sigurdardottir sent a shot at net that was blocked by the Limestone defense. Shortly after, the Saints had another breakaway that was shaping up to be another goal but Dagher came up with a big save. In the 17th minute, Limestone's Zoe Fisher beat the defense again, sent a shot past Dagher, hitting the post keeping King within two.  

Sigurdardottir, in the 21st minute, hit a shot that was saved by Alexis Dunbar, the Saints keeper. Just four minutes later, King had a free kick that was sent at net again and saved by the keeper. Limestone went immediately down the field and Reid saw herself behind the defense yet again, but this time she was not able to run onto the ball.

In the 33rd minute, Catherine Walsh finally found the net for King. Off a cross, Limestone cleared the ball to the feet of Walsh where she blasted a shot from 15 yards out to the right side of the net cutting the lead in half. The Saints went right down the field and threatened Dagher again and forced her to make two saves.  

The Tornado continued to threaten Dunbar but nothing would even the score. Going into the half King trailed Limestone 2-1.

To start the second half, King made adjustments that appeared to give them some firepower. Seven minutes into the second half, Kendyl Baird delivered a shot at net that was tipped over the crossbar resulting in a corner. She sent a ball toward net immediately after just out of the reach of the running Eydis Eysteinsdottir.

In the 57th minute, Lindsay Curtis added a goal for the Tornado. Off a free kick from 25 yards out, Curtis sent a soft touch from Miranda Smith past the keeper into the bottom right side of the net tying the game at two. Three minutes later, Eysteinsdottir had a great opportunity but her shot sailed high of the net.  Paula Doran then sent a beautiful bender at net but Dunbar came up with a great save in the 64th minute.

Limestone (7-2-2, 5-1-1) found the net again in the 70th minute. On a free kick from over 40 yards out, Helen Winterburn delivered a ball toward the goal where Reid ran onto it and sent it past the charging Dagher. Three minutes later Walsh hit a shot that was saved the by Saints keeper which was followed by another shot from Smith that was saved again.  

With a minute remaining, the Tornado tallied a corner kick that seemed to be their last chance of the game. Nothing would result off the corner and King would fall to Conference Carolinas foe Limestone. King outshot Limestone 21-11 and had five corner kicks to the Saints three. Dagher recorded four saves for the Tornado.

King will back in action on Saturday when they will travel to Pfeiffer University to take on the Falcons.