Three second half goals push King past Erskine

Three second half goals push King past Erskine

BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team looked to string two wins together for the first time in a while when Erskine College came to town. The Flying Fleet got on the board early but three second half goals for King delivered them a 3-2 win.

King (8-7, 5-4 CC) started fast posting three shots in the first nine minutes but in the 12th minute, Erskine got a goal to go up 1-0. Kate Harrington turned from about 25 yards out, hit a shot that sailed over the head of Nicole Dagher into the upper right side of the net.

The Tornado and Flying Fleet would trade shots and in the 22nd minute Dagher came up big. Harrington found herself free behind the defense with a charging keeper. She shot the ball, but Dagher denied her from making the score 2-0. King would continue to post shots; however, Ashton Burgess was able to keep the ball out of the net. Going into the half, King was down 1-0 after posting 13 shots to Erkine's six.

In an action packed second half, the scoring started early. Rachel Thorpe tied the game up at one in the 52nd minute when she delivered the ball that bounced to her off the goalie into the back of the net. The Tornado would continue to pressure and in the 61st minute Rayna Spears delivered a shot that hit off the post. Erskine (3-10-1, 2-7 CC) found the net again in the 64th minute making the score 2-1. Off a Harrington corner kick, the ball slid through most of the box before Rachel Mitchell ran onto it and sent it into the back of the net.

Four minutes later, King tied the game up at two. Thorpe took a pass from Kendyl Baird, where she turned and hit a shot into the bottom left of the net, beating the Erskine keeper. The scoring was not done there for King when Hulda Sigurdardottir added the game winner. Catherine Walsh sent the ball to Sigurdardottir where she hit a shot over the head of the Burgess, making the score King 3, Erskine 2.

The final whistle blew and King defeated Erskine 3-2. The Tornado tallied 34 shots to the Flying Fleet's 11. King also tallied four corner kicks to Erskine's three. Dagher posted six saves in the win.

King will travel Lees-McRae on Tuesday at 5:00 p.m.