King defeats Barton in OT in regular season finale

King defeats Barton in OT in regular season finale

BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team completed the regular season on a winning note after defeating Barton College 2-1 in an overtime thriller, their fourth win in a row. Rachel Thorpe delivered early for King and in the first overtime period, Eydis Eysteinsdottir netted the game winner to propel the Tornado over the Bulldogs.

In a cold and wet affair, Barton met King at Parks field in what was shaping up to be a very important contest for King. If King was to win and Belmont Abbey College was to lose King would secure home field for the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas tournament. However, Belmont Abbey won so King will have to travel on Tuesday.

The Tornado started fast tallying the first five shots of the game before one finally found the back of the net. In the 26th minute, Thorpe took a pass from Catherine Walsh, beat a defender and struck the ball into the upper right 90 of the net making the score 1-0. Based on available data, it was a historical goal for Thorpe as she now sits atop the most goals scored in a season with 15, taking the reins from Morgan Shelton who scored 14 times in 2011.

Barton tallied their first shot just 20 seconds later that was saved by Nicole Dagher. King tallied four corner kicks from the 28th minute to the 31st minute but nothing would go for King. After a dominating first half for the Tornado, the scoreboard read 1-0 going into the half.

To start the second half, it was the Bulldogs putting the pressure on. Although King tallied two shots in the first 7 minutes, Barton delivered the equalizer in the 58th minute. Kathryn Smith took a pass from Kasey Byzewski and beat the charging Dagher, her fifth goal of the season. Not much more would go in the half and regulation finished with the game all tied up at one.

Overtime began with King putting the pressure on immediately, looking to get the winning goal. In the 93rd minute, Eysteinsdottir found herself behind the defense, popped a shot over the goalie that nailed the crossbar, keeping the game tied. Two minutes later Walsh ripped two shots that were both saved by Carson Moore, the Bulldogs keeper.

In the 99th minute, the magic happened for the Tornado. Kendyl Baird sent a pass through the defense where Eysteinsdottir ran onto it sending a shot that hit off the crossbar again, this time bouncing straight down and into the net giving King the game winning goal and the 2-1 victory.

King outshot Barton 20-4 and tallied eight corner kicks to the Bulldogs two. Dagher posted two saves between the posts in her eighth win of the season.

The Tornado will travel to either Limestone College or Belmont Abbey on Tuesday in a Conference Carolinas quarterfinals affair. Game time and location is to be announced.